Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Re: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

[QUOTE=paulbarden;1622868]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post

I've been told by someone "in the know" that the issue is that Kodak cannot currently ship this product overseas - supposedly due to disruptions in shipping. (I have a friend in New Zealand who cannot get anything from the USA right now for the same reason).
    Are you sure? The end of the Kodak answer was: "We have shipped product to GFH foto in Germany with new date codes which do not have this problem."

So they can ship to Europe without any trouble if they want!

Clearly, that means: "you have payed 10 Xtol for nothing and if you want some good one, you have to pay again".

They are not reliable.

[QUOTE=Alec;1622866]
    I have purcased in Germany 10 of Xtol Catalog 1058338 with the following Date Code 2020//02/26 9003 9004 exp 2023-02
    I tried to send you an email and it failed. What do you propose me?

I have contacted Kodak Alaris and received that surprising answer:

"You will not be able to use the Xtol with this date code.
    Unfortunately I do not have a way to credit or replace the product for you. I am sorry for that. "
    I bought my faulty Xtol from Fotoimpex in Germany. First I tried to communicate with Kodak with little or no success. In the end I contacted Fotoimpex and they were very forthcoming and solved it within hours.
    I don't know about your specifics, but perhaps it's also possible for you to contact your seller/ditributor, instead of Kodak.

And then a short word on Adox XT-3 as a replacement. I've tried it alongside with Xtol. Same dilution and times. No difference in end results as far as I can see.
    And XT-3 dissolves in minutes, instead of the eternal stirring that's needed with Xtol
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

[QUOTE=lassethomas;1622993]

I bought my faulty Xtol from Fotoimpex in Germany. First I tried to communicate with Kodak with little or no success. In the end I contacted Fotoimpex and they were very forthcoming and solved it within hours.
    I don't know about your specifics, but perhaps it's also possible for you to contact your seller/ditributor, instead of Kodak.

And then a short word on Adox XT-3 as a replacement. I've tried it alongside with Xtol. Same dilution and times. No difference in end results as far as I can see.
    And XT-3 dissolves in minutes, instead of the eternal stirring that's needed with Xtol
    Thank you, i will use Adox XT3!

FWIW, I use Fomadon Excel a lot, never had any issues with it, dissolves pretty quickly, the stock keeps well even in half full bottles made with tap water, comes in 1L quantities and is about 40% cheaper than XT-3.

Quote Originally Posted by _tf_ View Post
    FWIW, I use Fomadon Excel a lot, never had any issues with it, dissolves pretty quickly, the stock keeps well even in half full bottles made with tap water, comes in 1L quantities and is about 40% cheaper than XT-3.
    Fomadon is good too.
    But in my tries not exactly the same as Xtol. Treated as equal it gave me different results. Not necessary worse but different.
    Xt3 on the other hand seems identical to Xtol.

Depends on what you are after I think
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

I'm late to this party and only discovered it when searching for "Xtol problems". I mixed a batch of Xtol yesterday from a bag I had on the shelf for a little over a year. Following the mixing instructions as I always have, water at 85°Part A absoluely would not fully dissolve. It's always been a pain in the ass but this time it would not. Lot's of floaters. Finally, out of frustration I tried heating the water while stirring, but still no dice. Finally I said "fuggit" and strained out the floaters by pouring through a filter, which left behind maybe a tablespoon worth of un-dissolved particulate. I went ahead and added PartB, no problem and then bottled it up.

Today I went in to mix up some working solution to process a batch of film. Pouring into my measuring flask, the Xtol was super cloudy, had a ton of floaters and when looking in the bottle I could see a volume of white-ish muck semi suspending at the bottom of the bottle.

Oh hell no, I'm not running film though this crap! Anyway, I found this thread and checked my batch number and yep, it's date code was 10/07/2019.

So it brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask the smarter than me folks on this forum. Would it dramatically harm the chemical (assuming it's a normal and okay batch of the chemical) to mix it using much hotter water? Cause it takes for freaking ever even in the best of batches to get PartA fully dissolved at 85°.

I do like the negatives it produces, but am ready to switch to something easier if this Xtol thing doesn't get sorted out.

I'm on my second bag from suspect batch, and all is well. I received the replacements last summer, so I've got a supply that will last me a long time.

How does the Adox XT-3 look when used at a 1:3 dilution for the working solution?

When Xtol was first out Kodak gave time/temp for this dilution and it worked well. A bit later they changed and said "don't do it" - and not long after we started seeing the Sudden Death Syndrome with it.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The “sudden death” thing was eventually traced to the envelopes for the 1l packets.

XT-3 is essentially a clone with XTOL’s borate buffer replaced with a more environmentally friendly one. Fotoimpex has also included its low dust tech for mixing. Photographically it should behave virtually identically to XTOL at all dilutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    How does the Adox XT-3 look when used at a 1:3 dilution for the working solution?

When Xtol was first out Kodak gave time/temp for this dilution and it worked well. A bit later they changed and said "don't do it" - and not long after we started seeing the Sudden Death Syndrome with it.

I've been using the current batches of Xtol and it appears that the problems are under control. While I applaud Adox for bringing an alternative ascorbic acid developer to market, its too expensive here in the US: XT-3 costs $22 and Xtol costs $12, both 5 liter packages.