Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Re: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

From the forum formerly known apug a report that "new" Kodak XTOL is now available from Freestyle. One person reports receiving a package marked made in USA:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...180508/page-31

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    From the forum formerly known apug a report that "new" Kodak XTOL is now available from Freestyle. One person reports receiving a package marked made in USA:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...180508/page-31

David
    I went to Freestyle today. I looked at (and picked up) the XTol on the shelf. It is indeed in a white bag, but it felt metallic when I bent it. I also noticed that the seal at the top is exactly how it used to be in The Kodak foil pouches. It looked to me like the packaging is white plastic on the outside with a foil liner inside. I didn’t buy any though. I a reticent to give whoever they are now my money for chemicals. I’ll let you guys be the test animals.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie57 View Post
    I went to Freestyle today. I looked at (and picked up) the XTol on the shelf. It is indeed in a white bag, but it felt metallic when I bent it. I also noticed that the seal at the top is exactly how it used to be in The Kodak foil pouches. It looked to me like the packaging is white plastic on the outside with a foil liner inside. I didn’t buy any though. I a reticent to give whoever they are now my money for chemicals. I’ll let you guys be the test animals.
    Yes, on the apug thread someone mentioned the packaging seemed to involve foil. Like you I'm going to wait for others to try this newest iteration. For now and probably the foreseeable future I'll stay with D23.
    David

I dont know if someone already wrote about it in this forum but Adox recently started selling their XT-3 Developer wich is basically a (better ? ) version of Xtol.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I just received a response:

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 11:55:09 AM PST, ProPaperChem <propaperchem@kodakalaris.com> wrote:

Thanks for reaching out to us and bringing this issue to our attention. Regarding our XTOL developer that you have we’ll certainly get this taken care of for you.
    Given the circumstances, we’re going to go ahead and get this item replaced for you with new product. For this, we’ll just need some information from you. At your convenience, please reply to my email with the following:
    • Phone Number:
    • Preferred Email Address:
    • Your Shipping Address (for replacement):
    • Quantity of XTOL Developer for Replacement • Which Distributor did you purchase your XTOL Developer from?
    Regarding the current XTOL product you have in your care, please feel free to dispose of it as there is no need to return this to us at Sino Promise.
    We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and that our product did not meet expectations. Rest assured that your replacement product will meet all appropriate criteria. I expect the replacement product to be sent to you by mid-February.
    Thanks, and I’ll keep an eye out for your response and please don’t hesitate to keep in touch if you have any further questions.

I don't know if I am going to trust the replacement at this time. Probably wait to see if there are any complaints about the batch.
    Received this from FedEx today:

Hi, Thomas Taylor. Your package from Sino Promise, Inc. is on its way.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    I dont know if someone already wrote about it in this forum but Adox recently started selling their XT-3 Developer wich is basically a (better ? ) version of Xtol.
    I've been loving it! Higher contrast at the same dev times (I was using Xtol-R but it may have been questionable given I ran at least 2 bad batches through it) but heck I'm even trying replenishment with it and it's been going great!

My one cautionary tale is DHL. Right now the best way to get XT-3 is from FotoImpex if you're in the US. Freestyle should be getting it soon but not yet. I love FotoImpex and, if you order enough stuff, shipping isn't even half bad....except when DHL likes to loose packages. Fortuantely my order of XT-3 was all good but my order of the last batch of Silvermax got lost :/

So XT-3 wonderful developer in my book! But still not the easiest to get a hold of stateside.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have been using Ilford's ID-11 which, like D-76 and Xtol, is a tried and true developer.

Thomas

Was going to be replaced in February.

Nothing has arrived so far.

Other alternatives work well.

Why do business with those who don't care enough to do what they say they will do?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Sorted out at last with a nice twist.

First I tried to establish some communication with Sino, and except one answer asking me to supply information I already had supplied there has been only silence.
    But, since I bought from Fotoimpex, I contacted them and things were solved within hours. Got the XTOL replacement as soon at is arrived, and I also got a liter sample of XT-3, the XTOL replacement for free.

Have tried both now. XTOL seems good again. Nice negatives with good density.
    And I can't say I see any difference with XT-3. Perfectly OK.
    Both done with 1+1 one-shot and the same development time.

And handling is better with XT-3. Dissolves in seconds. No more half hour stirring to get it to dissolve.

And it's nice to have choice

William D. Lester

Courier showed up unexpectedly this morning with 2 packages of xtol from Sino Promise. I initially contacted them this past January and was promised replacements would be sent sometime in March - I think. I sent a couple of follow-up messages when that didn't happen but never received a reply. So I was surprised and happy to receive them at last