Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Re: the thread for Kodak XTOL quality control issues

Update: Its February 25 and no sign of the replacement Xtol Kodak said would be sent by Mid-February. No contact from Big K, no tracking, nothing. I can't pretend I'm surprised, but the last time this happened, replacement product arrived in a timely manner.

Maybe it doesn't matter so much now, because I've migrated to using PMK and home-brew D-23, and liking it a lot. Also making ID-78 warm tone print developer from scratch and liking it a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Bruce, that account of the history isn't quite right. But most important for the present context, last June Kodak Alaris sold the photo paper and photo chemicals business on to Sino Promise:

http://www.sinopromise.com/content/info/id/62.html

So yet another set of hands is now responsible for it.
    Excellent -- I missed that bit. Well, OK, I haven't been paying that much attention. I'm glad you were. And please do correct the history -- I'd like to know the complete and correct history myself, and I'm sure others would as well.

So Alaris sold the photo paper and chemicals biz to the Asians. But what about the consumer film biz? Did that go too, or do they still hold that bit?

And the sale of the chemicals biz to Asia might explain why XTOL suddenly went wonky. That's a risk every time you change facilities and people. I would imagine that they'll get it right eventually.

Bruce Watson

The affected XTOL is the "Tetenal" stuff from Germany.

In the January bulletin Sino Promise indicated they now had a new supplier and hoped to begin shipping the newly made XTOL in mid February. Hopefully that means there will be XTOL on the shelves shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    Sino Promise has been making their C-41 for a while, but I thought hadn't been making XTOL? The tainted batches reference Germany and I thought Sino was China (Hong Kong)? Flexicolor chems are rather good so I'm hoping if it is moving under Sino from whomever it was is a step in the right direction.

But again, though I'm excited about Kodak's teasing about new film and what not, I think if Adox comes out with an XTOL like option, it's something I will seriously evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Update: Its February 25 and no sign of the replacement Xtol Kodak said would be sent by Mid-February. No contact from Big K, no tracking, nothing. I can't pretend I'm surprised, but the last time this happened, replacement product arrived in a timely manner.
    They have switched suppliers so perhaps it is taking longer than they expected/hoped.

It is too bad they have not issued an updated official bulletin (last was beginning of Jan), which in my opinion would be a good idea given how likely it is some people will have simply become too frustrated by now and finally decided to just give up on XTOL altogether. But what do I know - I ain't no business man.

What I've honestly been doing is monitoring B&H. I figure they'll be the first or one of the first to have the new batch.

If you want to know how it all fits together, if you are an APUG/Photrio member I suggest the Kodak/Alaris/Sino Promise thread(s) there - not all the noise but specifically the posts by Matt King, who has followed the lengthy Kodak saga closely and understands the legalities, who owns what, branding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Excellent -- I missed that bit. Well, OK, I haven't been paying that much attention. I'm glad you were. And please do correct the history -- I'd like to know the complete and correct history myself, and I'm sure others would as well.

So Alaris sold the photo paper and chemicals biz to the Asians. But what about the consumer film biz? Did that go too, or do they still hold that bit?

And the sale of the chemicals biz to Asia might explain why XTOL suddenly went wonky. That's a risk every time you change facilities and people. I would imagine that they'll get it right eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

Tangential to this thread, but the ultra-short version: Alaris was not a pre-existing company. It was created from scratch during Eastman Kodak's 2012 bankruptcy as part of the settlement of EK's obligations to the UK Kodak Pension Plan and is owned by the plan. As an operating business, Kodak Alaris hasn't come close to compensating for the shortfall in what EK owed to the pension plan, so over time they've been figuring out how to salvage as much value from it as they can. Hence the recent sale of some of the KA businesses to Sino Promise. KA still holds the marketing rights to Kodak-branded consumer film.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 25-Feb-2021 at 20:23.

Has anyone received replacement product from Kodak yet?
    March 1st and I've heard/received nothing.

Nada. (sound of tumbleweeds)

Jeesh...sounds like kind of a shaky arrangement - like I'd better make some more room in my freezer!

I got one response from their Instagram which said to just send another e-mail. Which I did, and no response in a few days now. I've resorted to just tweeting them every day. I just don't understand why they can't just offer a simple update and spend a few minutes to update their recall page...