Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DSLR Film Scanning

Re: DSLR Film Scanning

I'm setting up a "scanning" rig at present.

I have an old 50D (20mpx) that I will dedicate to this task and so far I've been scanning 6x12cm negs. With the long side of the frame across the short side of the neg I take 4 images and stitch them together. That's nowhere near 1:1 but plenty for most purposes. The end result is a roughly 9000x4500 px image or approx 40Mpx.

I plan to start on my 5x4 as well, and with them I will do two passes at the same magnification, so a total of 8 images.

So far it's working pretty well, yes it's a lot of faffing around but I'm slowly getting the workflow sorted and let's face it, with LF we don't shoot 1000s of photos. Anyway it's better than spending a $1000 or more on a flat bed scanner and the results are at least as good, possibly better. So far I've spent about $10.

There is a gotcha with 120 film though that caused me a heap of anguish for a while with the stitching software

Oh, and yes I use a proper macro lens.
    Rob Gray — Nature Photographer Extraordinaire
    www.robgray.com

Sounds like you have a very good system, Rob.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have been using a DSLR system (Pentax 645Z with 120mm Macro) for black and white for a while. The other day, I tried it for the first time on color negatives and could not get decent colors in Adobe Camera Raw. I tried shooting with and without color correction filters, white balance by eyedropper and manually. The colors were all one brown-ish soup. Do you have any tips for me?

Best,

Michael

Make sure that the profile setting in Adobe Camera Raw is "neutral" or "camera neutral."

But you probably want to check out Negative Lab Pro.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I am curious about other people’s experience with negative holders. I bought two different one thinking I could get away without paying for one from negative supply. The one held together with magnets came apart and scratched a negative. Same for the plastic one. I am waiting on my order from NS. Buy cheap, buy twice. True for me in this case.

My dslr scanning was mainly with sheet film. The negative sits on textured acrylic or glass, and I route a a piece of 1/4" thick black ABS with a proper sized hole. I'm make sure that all edges are sanded smooth. I painter's tape the neg in one or two spots to the frame, and then set it down on the glass. No scratches. For roll film, I scan with an acrylic cover sheet on a Screen Cezanne. I would much rather have a slow system than one that leads to scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Sounds like you have a very good system, Rob.
    I think it will be. Just a hodge podge of lights and tripods for now but I will make a proper stand, neg holders, and light source soon.
    www.robgray.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    I have been using a DSLR system (Pentax 645Z with 120mm Macro) for black and white for a while. The other day, I tried it for the first time on color negatives and could not get decent colors in Adobe Camera Raw. I tried shooting with and without color correction filters, white balance by eyedropper and manually. The colors were all one brown-ish soup. Do you have any tips for me?

Best,

Michael
    I am crap with colour I admit, probably why most of my film work was B&W

But here is what I do and it seems to work pretty well.

1. Scan with some of the blank film base included.
    2. Bring into PS (well I use Affinity but should be the same).
    3. Add a layer.
    4. Use the eye dropper to sample the orange base.
    5. Fill the new layer with that colour.
    6. Put new layer below the scan layer and combine them using the "subtract" option (some other options seemed to do the same as well).
    7. Adjust brightness etc. Colour should be OK but also need some work.

I've only done a few and with landscapes you can be a bit out colour wise and not notice, bit it seems pretty good.

Vuescan also works well, but you have to buy the pro version to get the "import file" feature. I could still buy it but I'm a real tight-arse so will see how the above goes first.

EDIT: Modified the steps and tried with an old version of PS, seemed to work on that as well.
    Last edited by GRAYnomad; 9-Mar-2021 at 03:31.
    www.robgray.com

Quote Originally Posted by urnem57 View Post
    I am curious about other people’s experience with negative holders. I bought two different one thinking I could get away without paying for one from negative supply. The one held together with magnets came apart and scratched a negative. Same for the plastic one. I am waiting on my order from NS. Buy cheap, buy twice. True for me in this case.
    I'm making my own.

• Camera
    • -
    • Clear acrylic, thin, 1.5mm
    • Negative, emulsion up
    • Translucent acrylic with a slightly stippled surface facing up
    • -
    • LED light source

There is also a mask of black tape on the bottom acrylic to cut down flare and locate the film. The two acrylic sheets are hinged together with tape.

The "LED light" is actually a 300x1200mm flouro replacement unit out of an office refurb, it's rated at 6000k which I think is close enough for Government work. Way over size of course but the extra area is very useful as a light table for sorting the negs.

I've only used this a couple of times so far, but it works well, nice and flat with no Newton's rings.

As I take multiple shots of each neg I plan add some indexing so I don't have to eyeball the alignment of each shot.
    www.robgray.com

Rob: Curious what "stitching software" you're using. I've never tried this, but sure sounds like a way to go - if there's a way to automate the process. I'm using a (now old) Nikon D750 with 24MP, and surely jealous of those with higher MP's and pixel shifts in their cameras. But neither a new DSLR or scanner are quite in this year's budget (already blown on a new 4X5). Appreciate your insights... and kudos to your photos. THanks!