Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storage of Exposed/developed glass plates?

Re: Storage of Exposed/developed glass plates?

I just bought the materials for storage from Conservation Resources. Very helpful. The lady I spoke with told me they designed their plate storage products for The UCLA Archive’s Glass Plate Collection.

I see Amazon lists something that is 200ISO with no reviews

I never buy anything from Amazon without reviewing all input

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Tin Can: Your suggestion to buy new from Lane is what I have done in 4x5. What about the ISO 200 plates from Beautiful Thing? Anybody have experience with them?
    Last edited by Tin Can; 26-Feb-2021 at 08:15.
    Tin Can

Got back my 4x5 Lane plates. All were exposed at ISO 2 per the label. All plates were severely under-exposed with some plates totally clear and a few with a trace of image if squinting in strong side light.

I intend to use this material again with more exposure.

Is that a good enough review?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I was refereing to your question about these https://www.amazon.com/Photographic-.../dp/B06XDGXWFC

J lane Plates work well and I have bought many
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Got back my 4x5 Lane plates. All were exposed at ISO 2 per the label. All plates were severely under-exposed with some plates totally clear and a few with a trace of image if squinting in strong side light.

I intend to use this material again with more exposure.

Is that a good enough review?
    I've found that in the winter months and under cloudy/low light conditions, the 2ASA plates are more like 0.5 ASA or less. To get a good result I have often given 3X what the meter told me.

Quote Originally Posted by MirekM View Post
    Here you will find how to store, what to ship and how to display and bind your collodions. https://www.facebook.com/mirekmiranowicz
    MirekM, welcome to the Large Format Photography Forum. You will find many different temperaments here. Some members are very inviting, welcoming, and encouraging with their comments, while others are very quick to provoke, rebuke, and show a hostile attitude to those they view as uninitiated, or who don't share their same opinions. I find that behavior obnoxious on a forum designed for the exchange of information, especially when it is directed at someone who has shown no malintent in their own posts. Since your very first post was designed to be helpful and additive in value, you deserved to be properly welcomed, so allow me to do so.

The only individuals on this forum who are entitled to set the tone and rules for content are the moderators, not self-appointed "shadow moderators". There is absolutely no prohibition of sharing Facebook links on this forum. Facebook is a useful resource for those who like it, and is not a useful resource for those who don't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you are fully entitled to share yours in your first post, and every post after that. Nobody here earns more rights to express themselves over time with additional posts. So if you want to share a particular resource, feel free to share it. Those of us who find it useful will thank you. Those who don't may simply ignore it, but if they criticize you for sharing it, you can ignore them back. Rising to take their bait usually isn't a productive use of time. There are members here who seem to enjoy provocation as much as they enjoy photography, and some of them enjoy drawing it out as long as possible (you may or may not see that in the posts that follow). I try not to waste my time with them anymore, since I'd rather be in my studio or out in the field. So stick around if you care to; you can learn a lot from the members who are good at sharing what they know while showing basic courtesy and respect for others.

Edited to add this: One of the individuals who finds Facebook useful is also one of the contemporary masters of the wet plate process - Quinn Jacobson - whose Facebook page can be found at this link: https://www.facebook.com/StudioQPhoto/. In fact, he just posted a terrific photo one hour ago.
    Last edited by Mike in NY; 26-Feb-2021 at 13:30.
    I dream in black and white.

Mike: Thanks for that. Sometimes its too easy to make a smart-@$$ remark that does not translate into good natured give and take using the printed word.

But back to the my question in the OP: Has no one had an experience with the faster plates?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!