Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage of Exposed/developed glass plates?

Re: Storage of Exposed/developed glass plates?

Here you will find how to store, what to ship and how to display and bind your collodions. https://www.facebook.com/mirekmiranowicz

I will never use FB again

Many here will not

Quote Originally Posted by MirekM View Post
    Here you will find how to store, what to ship and how to display and bind your collodions. https://www.facebook.com/mirekmiranowicz
    Tin Can

This is what I use for film negatives, but they make they specifically for glass plates also...

https://www.conservationresources.co...lap-style.html

If you click on sizes, the last one on the list is 8 1/16" x 10 1/16" x 1/8" -- for 8x10 plates. They also have them for 4x5 and 5x7 plates.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by MirekM View Post
    You'll find many of us on this forum don't appreciate it when someone's first post to the forum points to a Facebook page. Myself, I won't touch Facebook content, for love nor money.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    You'll find many of us on this forum don't appreciate it when someone's first post to the forum points to a Facebook page. Myself, I won't touch Facebook content, for love nor money.
    It just seems that 99.9% of the time I agree w/ what you post Paul ( Love your image making more) and this is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Of course Paul, there is always a better archival method as we all learn more over time

Library of Congress and major museum store everything in climate control at a lower temperature, which then requires a slow rise to room temps
    a question, are wet plate properly processed emulsions as sturdy as dry plate emulsions?
    Hi Randy.
    Yes, there are always better ways to store such materials, but I don't have a museum budget, so I make do with standard Gaylord Archival boxes and interleave my plates with acid free paper. It works well for my needs.

Wet plate negatives and tintypes are VERY sturdy once varnished and properly cured, yes. (properly cured means leaving them in a drying rack for at least a week before putting them into storage: the varnish is still a bit soft after heating it and it needs more time to fully cure) I have varnished glass negatives stored this way for over 2 years and so far I have had no problems with the storage technique.

Good to know varnish needs a long drying time.

When I make something worthy of archival storage I will step up.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Hi Randy.
    Yes, there are always better ways to store such materials, but I don't have a museum budget, so I make do with standard Gaylord Archival boxes and interleave my plates with acid free paper. It works well for my needs.

Wet plate negatives and tintypes are VERY sturdy once varnished and properly cured, yes. (properly cured means leaving them in a drying rack for at least a week before putting them into storage: the varnish is still a bit soft after heating it and it needs more time to fully cure) I have varnished glass negatives stored this way for over 2 years and so far I have had no problems with the storage technique.
    Tin Can

Drew, I did some homework before recommending storage methods for dry plates (my recommendations are never arbitrary. ). The dry plate boxes and envelopes sold through Gaylord (and a couple other places) are the same products used by Library of Congress and many other preservation establishments. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Tin Can: Your suggestion to buy new from Lane is what I have done in 4x5. What about the ISO 200 plates from Beautiful Thing? Anybody have experience with them?
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 3-Jan-2021 at 07:04.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

As others have said, I purchase and use Gaylord archival products for storing glass negatives at the museum where I volunteer as a photo preservationist.
    I dream in black and white.