Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions For Wide Angle Lens on 8x10

Re: Suggestions For Wide Angle Lens on 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've been happy with the Fuji 210A inside-writing on my 8x10.

Kent in SD
    I have never heard of a Fuji A 210.
    The list is here : http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm
    Are you sure that your lens is not a Fuji A 240 ?

Alain

210mm F9 Graphic Kowa. Yes, works good for 8x10. Small, light weight, Copal# 1 shutter.

They were lesser known decades ago and low cost as most 8x10 folks were using lenses like the 200mm Grandagon or 210mm Super Angulon.

IMO, what has happened in recent years with the boomed interest in 8x10 field folder camera came the demand for small-light weight 200mm_ish lenses like this driving their market value ^.

Other lenses like this would be the 210mm f6.8 Angulon and other vintage wide field lenses that were designed for 8x10.
    Little if any has changed over the decades for WA 8x10 lenses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic:Kowa 210mm f9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	211071

Bernice

210mm is nice as 190 might be too close to your 150mm and 250mm might be too close to your 300mm.

I was looking at the specs on the 240 G-Claron and it doesn't appear to have enough coverage for 8x10 at only 298. Is there something that I don't know possibly? My intention is to use the wide angle at infinity for landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Graphic Kowa or Computar 210mm. Or perhaps a 240mm G-Claron. IMO the more modern lenses would pair better with what you have.

A couple of things...not all G-Clarons are the same. They changed the design during its long production life and some have much more coverage than others. The good news is, I have the more modern "Plasmat" version and despite having the smaller IC compared to the "Dagor" version, it still covers 8x10 fine. The standards by which Schneider judged the IC for the G-Claron line was apparently very rigorous, and so the specs are relatively meaningless for shooting film in not-so-stringent environments (comparatively to some graphic arts / repro uses).

Here's a photo from the 240mm GC on 8x10. Note the film rebate showing coverage edge-to-edge. I believe I used some front fall on this one as well:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I can’t think of a more frequently asked question in here. And answered extensively over and over.
    And yet I learn something every time.

240mm Germinar-W
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use a 240 Sironar and it has fantastic resolution . With Velvia I had it drum scanned, enlarged to 60inches wide and honestly can count the sharp blades of grass 100 feet from the camera position. Reasonable prices. A bigger lens but WOW . Easier to focus and with all the other weight its no problem, Equivalent to a 35mm on a Leica/Nikon. In fact it has become my standard lens. Not much movement but some movement is possible .

If you win the lottery get a Schneider 210 XL, its HUGE but sharp !!!!

Until then enjoy the 240mm Sironar.

Thanks for sharing this, really helpful and fantastic image too by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    A couple of things...not all G-Clarons are the same. They changed the design during its long production life and some have much more coverage than others. The good news is, I have the more modern "Plasmat" version and despite having the smaller IC compared to the "Dagor" version, it still covers 8x10 fine. The standards by which Schneider judged the IC for the G-Claron line was apparently very rigorous, and so the specs are relatively meaningless for shooting film in not-so-stringent environments (comparatively to some graphic arts / repro uses).

Here's a photo from the 240mm GC on 8x10. Note the film rebate showing coverage edge-to-edge. I believe I used some front fall on this one as well: