Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for information on a Wollensak Velostigmat series VII lens

looking for information on a Wollensak Velostigmat series VII lens

I recently pickup up a 5" f3.5 Wollensak Series VII Velostigmat lens in a Alphax shutter from that big auction site. SN 484,xxx. I can't tell if it is coated and it doesn't have the Wocoated symbol on it. I checked Camera Eccentric and couldn't find any information on this lens there, and my google-fu is lacking with this lens. The closet I could find was the Varium but it seems the shortest length for that 14".

This lens appears to be a triplet design, with two elements in front of the aperture and one behind. Rough coverage looks to be a little bit too small for 4x5" (though I am going to take a Polaroid and see how it turns out.)

Anyone have more information about this lens? Did Wollensak ever rebadge other manufacturer's lenses as their own?

-Darren

Re: looking for information on a Wollensak Velostigmat series VII lens

Series VII is a new one to me. That also implies the existence of a series VI, but I have never heard of it. I am guessing that you are right that a 5" f3.5 triplet (Tessar?) is probably not going to cover 4X5.

Very few lenses marked "Velostigmat" were coated.

I have never seen any indication of Wollensak re-badging lenses.

pics of lens and from lens

Here is a picture of the lens itself, one taken with the lens at f3.5, and another taken at f22. Brown cruft is from the Polaroids. I measure 115mm of coverage at f22, which i think makes it 65 degrees of coverage.

I have never heard of a series VII either. Here is a link to a site that has scans of some of the Wollensak lenses, it may help. I can only see a series II and III Velostigmat in the listings.

From the listing of the series II Velostigmat, the 5" lens is meant to cover 3 1/4 X 4 1/4.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...ensakcatg.html

--John

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but there's a 3"/3.5 one of these beasts on eBay now (230628677560) and I can't find anything on it. Nothing in the Wolly catalogs on cameraeccentric.com and Google found nothing relevant except this thread.

It can't be for 4x5 as advertised, I don't think there's a modern f/3.5 3 incher that will cover the format.

Thanks for suggestions, pointers, even good answers.

Dan

Dan, there's lots of 3"3.5's. They came on many of the old Rollei wannabe cameras of the era post WW2, like Ciro-Flex etx.

Jim, I know that. Lotsa fastish triplets and tessars. And in 1946 Wollensak replaced the trade name Velostigmat with Raptar.

So, what design is a Velostigmat Series VII and when was that designation used? The VII on the lens on eBay doesn't look like an engraving error

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jim, I know that. Lotsa fastish triplets and tessars. And in 1946 Wollensak replaced the trade name Velostigmat with Raptar.

So, what design is a Velostigmat Series VII and when was that designation used? The VII on the lens on eBay doesn't look like an engraving error
    Nope, you're 100% right and I don't have a clue. Interesting lens.

You guys don't think the Series VII refers to the filter threading do you? Series VII was a Kodak filter thread size of ~50mm so that looks about right. Also it says "Series VII Velostigmat", whereas other Velostigmat would say "Velogstigmat Series X".

Domaz, from start (one version, anyway) to finish it reads: "Wollensak Velostigmat 3" Focus Series VII f 3.5 No 278693" The Series VII could refer to filter size but the lens is a bit small for a Ser VII filter to fit and it seems a stretch.

Thanks for making me look closely at the listing. It gave me the idea of looking at serial numbers in catalogs on cameraeccentric. I found 504xxx in the 1949 catalog. I have a 3"/4.5 Velostigmat Series II s/n 452779 in Rapax, probably a 1945 lens. The Ser. VII that didn't sell has to be at least somewhat pre-WW-II.

Does anyone know when Series filters were introduced?