Hi all, Happy New Year.

Question about pretty much all LF lenses. Which are the fancy ones that just seems to cost a bit more or a lot more than others?

Here's an example of what I'm getting at....

Of the big 4, in the 75mm and 90mm focal lengths, there's really nothing "fancy" or too special. But if you look at 80mm BOOM!! THERE GOES THE CHECKBOOK!! Also, the 115mm seems like a jump in cost.

So, why is that and what are some examples of the high cost, "fancy" lenses in the 4x5 world? Fancy can mean they just cost a lot because not many were made and they are collectables or maybe there's something about them that is, well, fancy.

Here's where I'm going with this....

Say I want to build a kit around my one and only 150mm (which I do). I can go as wide as a 90mm (for now), but that would kind of defeat the point of getting a 115mm (so close). BUT, what if the 115nm is really special and I just don't know it! I could have instead gone with a 115mm and a 75mm and skip the 90mm.

So it's hard to build a kit when you don't know what the really special lenses are and where you can skimp and where you should bust out the checkbook....

Thoughts?

Adam