Thread: Sinar to Linhof Lensboard Adapter with Heavy Lenses

Sinar to Linhof Lensboard Adapter with Heavy Lenses

I am planning on using a Sinar to Linhof Lensboard Adapter with a Nikkor W 300 5.6 and wanted to know if there is any risk involved?
    Would the lens be to heavy or is there another reason that I should not do that?

Re: Sinar to Linhof Lensboard Adapter with Heavy Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by JayJayOkocha View Post
    I am planning on using a Sinar to Linhof Lensboard Adapter with a Nikkor W 300 5.6 and wanted to know if there is any risk involved?
    Would the lens be to heavy or is there another reason that I should not do that?
    I can only speak to the version of that adapter made by S.K. Grimes. I own the exact lens you plan to use, have mounted it to my Phillips Compact II using the adapter, and found no issues with weight.

The 300mm f/5.6 Nikkor W does have a substantially front-displaced center of gravity, so your camera's front standard needs to be capable of handling that moment arm without tilting.

Beware of rip off ones. Years ago bought one on eBay from that was shipped from China. Took weeks to get here (Connecticut), the Linhof board locking mechanism was loose and completely inadequate, and the thickness of the Sinar board was noticeably thicker than an OEM Sinar board. Eventually mounted a small lens on it and epoxied the Linhof board locking mechanism, but it never easily mounted on my Norma. I just should have returned it when I got it. Ended up throwing it away. I have seen one made by SK Grimes, definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Those small Linhof lens boards have become extremely popular and common for a long list of field foldable cameras. The board itself is a good design. Limitations are due to their size. They "just fit" a Copal or similar# 3 shutter. And for BIG lenses they are simply too small.
    All sorts of extender hats, recessed lens board of this variety happen in an struggle to get a lens that was never intent to work on a field folder to sort of work on the field folder. This is why deciding on lens choices first with the camera needed to support chosen lenses and how the system will be used should decide the camera, not picking the camera then deciding on lenses and all else related.

A 300mm f5.6 modern plasmat in a number 3 shutter is not that big a lens.

Stick with a Sinar board for larger lenses as it will be inherently more stable with fewer chances for light leaks and problems. Never liked using adapter lens boards, they all have issues. If an adapter lens board is absolutely needed, get a GOOD high quality one as the adapter lens boards that appear to be a bargain are often not a bargain.

As with most things like this, it is a trade off. IMO, these Linhof lens boards are best with lenses in a Copal# 1 or similar sized shutter.

The absolute solid, predictable and GOOD connection between lens to lens board, lens board to camera is a very good thing. Any flimsy aspect to this is not a confidence builder.

Bernice