Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof grip does not seem to fit my Master Technika

Linhof grip does not seem to fit my Master Technika

I just purchased a used hand grip for my MT and for the life of me I can't see how it can ever go on the side dovetails mounted to the side of the camera. Are there two different grip mounts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	211000

Re: Linhof grip does not seem to fit my Master Technika

Yes. One for the left side that comes with the cable release and the mounting plate that replaces the hand strap. The mounting plate was available in three different versions for 23, 45 and 57 cameras. They also changed the design of the mounting plate a few decades ago and newer grips would not properly fit the older plate.
    The right hand grip comes without a cable release or hand strap and slides onto the E clip on the rangefinder housing.
    Your picture is the left hand grip. Did it come with the mounting plate that it slides into? If not order one from a LInhof service center.

Is there a lever on the grip like the one pictured, and is it rotated counter-clockwise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0239.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	211002

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Yes. One for the left side that comes with the cable release and the mounting plate that replaces the hand strap. The mounting plate was available in three different versions for 23, 45 and 57 cameras. They also changed the design of the mounting plate a few decades ago and newer grips would not properly fit the older plate.
    The right hand grip comes without a cable release or hand strap and slides onto the E clip on the rangefinder housing.
    Your picture is the left hand grip. Did it come with the mounting plate that it slides into? If not order one from a LInhof service center.
    Thanks Bob. I received only what is shown in the picture. On my MT itself there is a dovetail plate with a spring release in the middle, but I take it that is not what you meant by a "mounting plate". Please help me find a service center. BTW, I believe we might know each other from days long ago when I was writing articles for SINAR/Broncolor. Now I am a proud Linhof enthusiast.

I might be missing what Bob Solomon calls the "mounting plate". There is clearly a piece missing in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bevdig View Post
    Thanks Bob. I received only what is shown in the picture. On my MT itself there is a dovetail plate with a spring release in the middle, but I take it that is not what you meant by a "mounting plate". Please help me find a service center. BTW, I believe we might know each other from days long ago when I was writing articles for SINAR/Broncolor. Now I am a proud Linhof enthusiast.
    That is the mounting plate, might be the wrong grip for your plate. You can check with Bob Watkins at Precision in CA or Rim at Nippon in NYC.

We probably do know each other though I represented Sinar and Broncolor at EPOI long, long time ago.

You have an older grip that doesn't work on the Master Technika. I have one just like it that attaches to my Technika IV perfectly.

My Master Technika grip is more squarish looking on the mount side of the grip.

I have no idea if the two different grip attachment parts on the IV and MT are exchangeable. It seems to me you're better off returning it and finding the correct grip for your MT.
    Last edited by Corran; 2-Jan-2021 at 07:24.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I had a feeling the grip was for an older version of the Technika. I appreciate the explanation and will return the item.

Quote Originally Posted by bevdig View Post
    I had a feeling the grip was for an older version of the Technika. I appreciate the explanation and will return the item.
    The Technika LH grips are all the same since the beginning in 1955. I can use mine interchangeably between the Technika III, IV or Master (I don't have a V). Linhof made grips for other cameras but your photo shows one for a technika.

Perhaps you could show us the attachment plate as well?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Linhof Anatomical Grip der neue Formgriff_German Langauge-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	211332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Linhof Anatomical Grip der neue Formgriff_German Langauge-2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	211333

The current attachment plate is a rectangle shape rather than a oval shape but it is purely cosmetic. the style changed in 1972 with the introduction of the Master Technika...

Here is the current model with the squared off instead of oval edges...
    http://linhof.com/en/formgriff-links/