Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unsharp Masking…Would I/Could I/Should I?

Drew Wiley

Re: Unsharp Masking…Would I/Could I/Should I?

Beaver fur trappers were through much of the US before either Lewis and Clark or Fremont, and into a lot of Canada before McKenzie. We still have beaver and beaver dams in the Sierras, sea otters on the coast (once the most valuable fur in the world, but hunted nearly to extinction due to that), river otters in certain lakes and streams (I saw a few near here not long ago). What look like big rats around water are either muskrats or nutria. Nutria are a big problem because they burrow into our river levees and potentially make them fail. Ironically, the local wildlife official in charge of trapping and killing the nutria has one as a pet. In the South, they're eaten. None of the above critters dig holes measured in the thousandths; but all film register punches must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    My video and Radeka's book follow the exact same instructions. It's easy to do, and only takes a little bit of effort with trial and error.
    Video?!? Is it available online/dvd? I am very interested.

Why go down a rabbit hole if you don't need to John. At this stage of the proceedings the last thing you need is unnecessary "dilution". Expose and process your film optimally and you do not need to deploy any masking for B&W work. If you have a career defining image that is suffering from a stumble during execution and from which masking and the investment in materials, time and working your way up the learning curve is legitimately justified that is one thing (as some prior generation masters have required). I suspect that is simply not the case in your situation. I would focus on ensuring you are extracting the best possible results from the materials you use and your process as is possible and the good news is all you need are the eyes you already have any the experience that has gotten you to this point. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Video?!? Is it available online/dvd? I am very interested.
    YouTube: Naked Photographer is Greg Davis's channel. He's done videos on many topics. The unsharp masking demo is in three parts and I would recommend it to anyone starting to look into masking. It's a good visual aid and overview with a step by step example. In my opinion seeing rather than just reading can be especially helpful for learning about masking.

I don't entirely agree. It isn't dilution, nor is it redundant. It also doesn't need to be a deep rabbit hole. It's an additional tool which one might want to use on occasion. No amount of optimal exposure/processing of film automatically leads to great prints. Sometimes they are relatively easy, other times they are more laborious or complicated, and occasionally having a few extra tricks in the bag comes in handy.

Here we have specific case in which an unsharp mask might help John get to the desired result. It could potentially be worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Why go down a rabbit hole if you don't need to John. At this stage of the proceedings the last thing you need is unnecessary "dilution". Expose and process your film optimally and you do not need to deploy any masking for B&W work. If you have a career defining image that is suffering from a stumble during execution and from which masking and the investment in materials, time and working your way up the learning curve is legitimately justified that is one thing (as some prior generation masters have required). I suspect that is simply not the case in your situation. I would focus on ensuring you are extracting the best possible results from the materials you use and your process as is possible and the good news is all you need are the eyes you already have any the experience that has gotten you to this point. Just my $0.02.

Both Michaels - I hear you equally.

Michael K. - Indeed...I've spent over half a century with basically the same materials and principles, extracting my own "best possible results," and see nothing generally which would now cause me to change this in any drastic manner. I do feel that I can continue to move forward...meaningfully - with what I'm doing/using now.

Michael R. - Yes...there are a few specifics about a small number of my prints which I feel may be appropriately addressed by unsharp and contrast masking, but more in the context of curiosity - as I'm generally satisfied with current results.

...but a deep thanks to you both, to Drew, and to all of you for being so helpful and supportive!

Drew Wiley

Masking can be used as a remedial tool, and in certain kinds of color printing it was almost mandatory for both hue and contrast correction. But it's main application is not remedial. You can have an "ideal" neg that still benefits from this. In black and white work it can improve the print in manners other kinds of workflow simply can't . A good print might become a great one, meaning an enlargement with all the subtle tonality reminiscent of a contact print. About 5% of my own b&w negs get masked. It's especially helpful for bringing out extreme texture and sparkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    YouTube: Naked Photographer is Greg Davis's channel. He's done videos on many topics. The unsharp masking demo is in three parts and I would recommend it to anyone starting to look into masking. It's a good visual aid and overview with a step by step example. In my opinion seeing rather than just reading can be especially helpful for learning about masking.
    Thanks Michael.

For someone who doesn't use an enlarger and contact print only, does this unsharp masking technique worth the time and trouble to learn? Most of my negs are 8x10 sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    For someone who doesn't use an enlarger and contact print only, does this unsharp masking technique worth the time and trouble to learn? Most of my negs are 8x10 sizes.
    The general principles can apply to any format. Whether or not it is worth trying really depends on whether or not you think any of the types of masks would be of use in making your prints.