Thread: What size 8x10 lens to match..

What size 8x10 lens to match..

Hi everyone,

I'm about to order a custom 8x10 pinhole camera. I'd like the focal length to match, as closely as possible, my 40mm lens on my Hasselblad. Ken Rockwell suggests that this lens on a Hasselblad is similar to a 35mm lens on a 35mm. Which seems not quite right to me. Another resoruce suggests:

Yep, www.hasselblad.se has data showing the 40mm FLE covers 89 degrees diagonal and 69 degrees horizontal.

When I look through tables of angle of view, I never know what number to use horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc. I'll often have my Hasselblad with me, so I'll compose with it and then shoot with the 8x10 pinhole.

What might you suggest for a focal length on the 8x10?

Thanks!

Re: What size 8x10 lens to match..

Maybe somewhere around 150mm. No exact answer because the formats are different aspect ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfkimball View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm about to order a custom 8x10 pinhole camera. I'd like the focal length to match, as closely as possible, my 40mm lens on my Hasselblad. Ken Rockwell suggests that this lens on a Hasselblad is similar to a 35mm lens on a 35mm. Which seems not quite right to me. Another resoruce suggests:

Yep, www.hasselblad.se has data showing the 40mm FLE covers 89 degrees diagonal and 69 degrees horizontal.

When I look through tables of angle of view, I never know what number to use horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc. I'll often have my Hasselblad with me, so I'll compose with it and then shoot with the 8x10 pinhole.

What might you suggest for a focal length on the 8x10?

Thanks!
    If I go by achieving 89deg diagonal then it is roughly a 22 mm in full frame (35mm). That’s like 165mm in 8x10 (to achieve 89deg diagonal— the ratio is different so the comparison is not exact; for example, a 68deg horizontal angle is achieved at 148mm in 8x10).

You will find this useful:

https://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html

Scroll down to the calculator portion. You can select 35mm, Hasselblad, 8x10, and everything in between.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    If I go by achieving 89deg diagonal then it is roughly a 22 mm in full frame (35mm). That’s like 165mm in 8x10.

You will find this useful:

https://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html

Scroll down to the calculator portion. You can select 35mm, Hasselblad, 8x10, and everything in between.

Good luck!
    By the way if you’re mind is not already set on a particular brand/model, I find that Zero Image pinhole cameras are very high quality and priced reasonably.
    The have a modular approach where you stack up blocks to achieve different lengths and the holes are adjusted with a brass turret. I don’t have the 8x10 but the 4x5 and is a joy to use when I’m in for that.

http://www.zeroimage.com/Pinhole_Camera_810_2015.html

Their standard includes 80mm/160mm which basically matches quite well your desired length.

(No affiliation)