Thread: Hello from Santa Barbara.

Smile Hello from Santa Barbara.

Hi all,

Another LF-curious newbie here. I've always wanted to dip my toes in medium format, and this was the year for my first leap. No doubt, I am still in the honeymoon period, but in the four months I have been shooting MF film, my digital camera was either being used as a light meter or (once I got a dedicated light meter) sitting on a shelf. On a recent outing, I saw a scene that just cried for a panorama camera, and I am now thinking about a 6x17 system, so I figured I should join.

I'll mostly be lurking, reading old threads to avoid opening up old disputes/wounds, and I'll be sure to post questions or content if I hit a wall or if I have something worth sharing.

Re: Hello from Santa Barbara.

Welcome!!! You can also just get a view camera with a wide back (and other film backs), and a much wider assortment of lenses that allow different styles of shooting (portrait landscape, still life + many more... Plus the camera, lenses +gear will probably cost less than many 6X17 cameras...

Do your research, and don't let money burn a hole in your pocket!!!

Enjoy!!!

Steve K

Eric Woodbury

Hey Hun. Welcome to LFF. Good to have another Barbarian here. I'm near San Marcos Pass.

[Nice little rain storm, eh. 3.5" here. Finally.]

Les

Welcome to the LF forum. Lots of distractions between Rincon and Refugio B. I'm surprised you don't have at least two 4x5's after Brooks closed. :>)

Les

Welcome aboard
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Hey Hun. Welcome to LFF. Good to have another Barbarian here. I'm near San Marcos Pass.

[Nice little rain storm, eh. 3.5" here. Finally.]
    Nice! I have so many fond memories around San Marcos pass. Ever since moving here in 2007, I have been going to Figueroa Mountain for stargazing (well, until ~2017). On the trip back home, I would frequently pass through the area just before sunrise which was always scenic. I also saw the mercury transit from Painted Cave Road since my home was fogged in. And I just got back from shooting the sunrise from West Camino Cielo. There seems to be a nice blanket of snow in the back country.

Drew Wiley

While my older brother was still alive he'd drive me up to Figueroa for large format shoots. But he got his back messed up when a garbage truck came downhill around a blind corner there near Painted Cave, in the wrong lane! Being in a Porsche wasn't much protection. But I always wanted to shoot serious cameras like him. Welcome aboard!