Thread: Using Chamonix 8x10 with heavy lenses

Using Chamonix 8x10 with heavy lenses

Hi there,
    does anyone have experiences with heavy lenses like a Super Symmar 210 XL on a Chamonix 810 camera, possibly also on a Chamonix Alpinist (X)? The design is very similar to the Pilipps 8x10, but what about the stability of those Chamonix 810s?
    I had no issues with my Deardorff with heavy lenses from 210-480 mm, but would like to reduce weight and am interested in buying a lighter camera without giving up using my beloved SS XL210....
    Thank you for your assessments, Ulrich

Re: Using Chamonix 8x10 with heavy lenses

Largest lens that I use on my Chamonix 810V is a 360mm f/5.6 NIKKOR-W. Lens and lens board weigh 3lb 6+oz (1.548 Kg). Lens is a bit front heavy. No problem.

Ulrich,

I have used SSXL 210mm on the Alpinist X without any issues.

Thanks.
    Hugo

Drew Wiley

The Phillips would do it just fine, and I have used a 360 in Copal 3S shutter. But my favorite 360 is the much lighter Fuji A style in no. 1 shutter. Having seen the Chamonix use up close in actual use, and being a similar design, I wouldn't anticipate any issues. But if you've got the bellows way out there with a heavy 600mm, that might be a different story. When I use a Fuji 600C on my Phillips, I have to pay careful attention to any wind vibrations.

I've used the Caltar/Rodenstock 360/6.8 and it sits well on the 810V. Very stable in fact. I probably would not try to combine an ultra-light camera with a heavy lens, but I don't really consider the 810V an ultralight. The Aplinist probably is, though I haven't used it. I have use a Deardorff V8 and the 810V is significantly lighter and imho easier to adjust than the Deardorff.

Thank you for your responses so far. Of course it could create problems using heavier long focal lenses esp. under windy conditions - not my plan. I primarily use my lightweight Fujinons A 240, C 300 and C450 in these focal ranges. Under ideal conditions a Nikkor W 300 f5.6. With all of these lenses, the extension of the front standard is quite moderate.
    The 210 XL is due to his design with aspherical elements quite front-heavy, which irritated me regarding the combination with Chamonix 810V or Alpinist....
    Best regards, Ulrich

Drew Wiley

With my Phillips I changed the front tilt locking bars to much more substantial knobs. The weight gain was too miniscule to worry about.

[QUOTE=Drew Wiley;1581316But if you've got the bellows way out there with a heavy 600mm, that might be a different story.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes when I use my 360mm f/5.6 NIKKOR-W and all the time when I use my 600mm f/11.5 S KangRinpoche, I also employ a monopod that has a small clamp attached to its top (I normally use as a walking stick) which I usually clamp to the foremost bottom part of the camera. I do this after composing and focusing the image. Takes less than 30 seconds to set up and makes the camera many times more stable.

Drew Wiley

I have a better method for my own circumstances. A separate tripod or monopod would be of little value with the front of the camera overhanging a 500 ft cliff. Scary enough just cocking the shutter. Hopefully, I've outgrown that kind of nonsense.