Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot Over Expose?

Re: Cannot Over Expose?

Some thoughts:
    1) He's telling people to try 8x10, and it seems to me the comment that you can't overexpose film is intended as a social media inflected hyperbolic recommendation, not as literal truth.
    2) Cute that he went from a 2D to a Deardorff. It looks fancier than the 2D with home brew lensboard. I wonder if he can get higher rates with the fancy looking camera.
    3) If he can recycle ideas and do well with it, good luck to him. There is nothing new under the sun.
    4) He's telling people to try 8x10, you'd think users on this forum would be happy for that.

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Some thoughts:
    1) He's telling people to try 8x10, and it seems to me the comment that you can't overexpose film is intended as a social media inflected hyperbolic recommendation, not as literal truth.
    2) Cute that he went from a 2D to a Deardorff. It looks fancier than the 2D with home brew lensboard. I wonder if he can get higher rates with the fancy looking camera.
    3) If he can recycle ideas and do well with it, good luck to him. There is nothing new under the sun.
    4) He's telling people to try 8x10, you'd think users on this forum would be happy for that.
    Recycling ideas is fine. Copys are not. At first look a lot of his work looks nice. Bright and full of impact. Then the direct comparison with images done before and we see he is on the edge of Copyright infringement, not using the ideas or images for inspiration. Infringement would be for the courts to decide, but in looking these don't pass the smell test.

Yes, most everything has "been done", but when you go to re-do it(knowingly or otherwise) you don't do a direct rip off. Or, if you do it is generally a learning experience as in Art Classes where you paint what the Masters did - but you don't pass it off as your own and you don't put it in your Portfolio.

In looking at his portfolio online it is all over the place. Not a coherent body of inspired work. Maybe the product of copying so many different photographers work rather than inspired efforts at creativity?

As for moving to a Deardorff from a 2D. No problem at all. Some of us just 'click' with a particular camera over something else. Have friends who have tried Large Format and almost gave it up before using a different camera and finding "the right one" makes it enjoyable.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Bellows are known for their hot air potential too. If somebody can turn slag into gold that way, it's their option. I just don't want to be around that kind of stinky furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Yes, he's recommending large format photography, but in a "You should learn to drive a car! The best part is that there's no such thing as a speed limit, and you CANNOT hurt yourself!" kind of way. I can't get excited about people who recommend taking up a technology and then providing misleading information about how to use it. That's NOT helpful.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Yes, he's recommending large format photography, but in a "You should learn to drive a car! The best part is that there's no such thing as a speed limit, and you CANNOT hurt yourself!" kind of way. I can't get excited about people who recommend taking up a technology and then providing misleading information about how to use it. That's NOT helpful.
    doesn't bother me.
    there's always been goofballs selling and using cameras, since like 1839 onward..
    if his viewing+buying audience isn't bright enough to do a little research on like IDK how you have to load
    and unload and develop and print/scan the film and how film is like $10 an exposure. LOL not quite sure
    why I should be upset about that...

I never drove a car or anything motorized until Drivers ED age 16. Strictly forbidden.

In HS within way less than 5 minutes I was told to stop, get in the back and let the instructor train the 3 others in the same car.

That was scary!

He said I knew how to drive and i did.

I learned from watching, when older brother drove I lay on the back floor as it seemed safest. Not a smooth driver ever.

If someone wants to buy any camera, let them learn in a way that works for them. Almost nobody gets hurt with film.

If they want and need help they will find a way somehow.

When I joined here, I fairly quickly started using learning with X-Ray film as it was cheaper then.

Many here kept telling me I MUST USE REAL FILM.

Glad I didn't listen.
    Tin Can