Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Master Technika and focusing with Fujinon 75mm f.8

Re: Linhof Master Technika and focusing with Fujinon 75mm f.8

When I used my SA 65mm on my Tech III I bought it together with a Schnecken gang (sp?) or a helical focus mount. So I kept lens plus focus mount on the inner rail, and focused with the focus mount. I did have to have the back moved back 1 cm though. It remained a bit akward but it worked. You should do the math, and find a cheaper helical than the one in the link I guess..

Good luck,

Cor

AFAIK the only # 1 shutter that will fit in a recessed board is a copal press #1. And will give ±6 mm. Linhof Technika recessed boards are made for #0 shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    When I used my SA 65mm on my Tech III I bought it together with a Schnecken gang (sp?) or a helical focus mount. So I kept lens plus focus mount on the inner rail, and focused with the focus mount. I did have to have the back moved back 1 cm though. It remained a bit akward but it worked. You should do the math, and find a cheaper helical than the one in the link I guess..

Good luck,

Cor
    As you know, depth of field is greatest the wider the lens. However, what you might not realize is that depth of focus, the area the film must lie within to be in sharp focus behind the lens, is very narrow with short lenses, the shorter the lens the narrower the depth of focus and the more critical the placement of the image plane.
    Your technique is very likely to eliminate critically sharp negatives as slight misalignments of the back will impair your results.
    There is a time tested and proven method to use 45 to 65mm lenses on a Technika. It involves acquiring either the LInhof Wide Angle Focus Device and Technika 23 lens boards for each lens or mounting each lens in the proper helicoid and board.
    Both will vastly simplify using the short lenses without compromising performance or technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    As you know, depth of field is greatest the wider the lens. However, what you might not realize is that depth of focus, the area the film must lie within to be in sharp focus behind the lens, is very narrow with short lenses, the shorter the lens the narrower the depth of focus and the more critical the placement of the image plane.
    Your technique is very likely to eliminate critically sharp negatives as slight misalignments of the back will impair your results.
    There is a time tested and proven method to use 45 to 65mm lenses on a Technika. It involves acquiring either the LInhof Wide Angle Focus Device and Technika 23 lens boards for each lens or mounting each lens in the proper helicoid and board.
    Both will vastly simplify using the short lenses without compromising performance or technique.
    Hi Bob,

I am aware of that phenomena, hence I used a a square straight piece of perspex to align the extended back to the camera house. Offcourse a linhof Wide Angle Focus Device would have been nice, but I used the 65 mm so little that I was not willing to shell out major money for said device. My approach worked for the few instances.

Best,

Cor