Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I'd stop by here to say hello...

Thought I'd stop by here to say hello...

Well, I'm doing this kind of backwards... already posted in the lens section etc.

But i figure i may as well introduce myself after all...

Hey, I'm Karin, and I've got a new addiction to large format photography. What's worse, i haven't shot one frame yet and nearly bought another lens this morning.
    I didn't. Decided that i ought to buy some film (or probably paper) and developer first.

How did i get into this? Well, 15 years ago i met a man, a photographer, who whisked me away from Berlin to Toronto... somewhere along the way he bought an old calumet cc400 to do portraits with. He was very much looking forward to it. But maybe more so in theory, because he didn't ever shoot anything with it before he passed away a couple months ago.

So i listed the camera on kijiji, i knew what he had paid for it, he wouldn't have touched a camera that wasn't in good working order. And he knew how to value things.

Anyhow, not a one inquiry in three or so months. So, some time last week i decided the lack of interest meant i should learn to use that drat thing myself. i began learning, reading, watching youtube videos etc. Needless to say, i am hooked.
    I hate to say it, i've probably learned more about (film) photography in the last week, than i did in art school, film school, living with a photographer and working with digital images for 14 years.

My camera is the calumet CC-400 in pretty good shape, if scratched up a bit. With a f4.5 210mm schneider kreuznach lens. The compound shutter seemed a bit slow, but when i tried taking a screwdriver to it, it refused to cooperate and began working better... who am i to argue..

Since i am so NOT a portrait photographer, i want to do macro work, maybe flowers, or veggie portraits (like Weston's peppers) to get used to the format.
    So doing the math, knowing the max extension of my bellows, and aiming for a 1:2 or greater magnification, i figured i "needed" a shorter lens. Found one on kijiji, attached to a kodak master view camera (the predecessor of my calumet). - proving my suspicion that attaching a monorail camera to a lens reduced its perceived value to 1/4.

So, my 2nd camera is a kodak master view, with an ilex paragon anastigmat f4.5 6.5in lens and an ilex #3 self cocking shutter (now that one did need taking apart and cleaning but is working fine now, and yeah, it isn't that much wider than the 210, but it was cheap and i can swap it for something else at some point). I think there's a light leak in the bellows, and I'm really not sure whether i need 2 nearly identical camras, even for spare parts like i had originally thought. But it is a bit lighter than the calumet. Meh. Decisions decisions.

So here i am, shopping for film, reading up on processing. And finally grasping how my husbands approach to photography differed from mine. (Start by using a f**** tripod ;-) )

i really appreciate the wealth of information to be found here. This forum is a veritable time sink. But it keeps me away from ebay :-p

Re: Thought I'd stop by here to say hello...

Welcome and perhaps when life is less viral we can do a Toronto/Hamilton meetup.

Les

Welcome to the LF forum. Indeed, there is a lot of info here and many are happy to help. Yep, the ftripod is part of the norm here.

Les

Hello Karin, since you’re focusing on film now I can warmly recommend the new ADOX CHS 100 ii developed in fx39 ii. It’s the first reasonably priced 4x5 film that for me beats the more expensive Ilford options. Here is an example (photo of a print on Bergger CB baryta):

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/p35654...b5ad#hf279b5ad

I thought it was the other way around, the Calumet being lighter than Kodak, as Calumet started making the camera after buying its rights from Kodak. Calumet is my first monorail, too. Very practical design. However previous owner has attacked the monorail with hacksaw - could have bought a roomier bag instead - which makes it useless with longer focal lenghts or macro. Some day I will turn a new rail, I already have all necessary ingredients. Sold as Burke&James too: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Orbit
    A proper, easily used developing tank is a must. I can recommend Combi Plan and Yankee tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojje View Post
    I thought it was the other way around, the Calumet being lighter than Kodak, as Calumet started making the camera after buying its rights from Kodak. Calumet is my first monorail, too. Very practical design. However previous owner has attacked the monorail with hacksaw - could have bought a roomier bag instead - which makes it useless with longer focal lenghts or macro. Some day I will turn a new rail, I already have all necessary ingredients. Sold as Burke&James too: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Orbit
    A proper, easily used developing tank is a must. I can recommend Combi Plan and Yankee tanks.
    Ha, if you're in the area, just grab this rail. They must've scraped something along the side of the camera and 3 corners on the bellows are shaved off. I'm not even going to look at fixing or replacing them. Spare parts or donation to an enthusiast it will be.
    I do have a developing tank for 4x5, the type with the hangers, and two round ones for 35mm and 120 film. - they're in storage, so i haven't measured if there'd be room for a custom insert. Doubtful.

The camera weight is just an impression, i haven't taken the calumet off the tripod to compare, was just surprised at how light the kodak is. Now I'm curious. Though which camera i am keeping isn't up for debate...

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Hello Karin, since you’re focusing on film now I can warmly recommend the new ADOX CHS 100 ii developed in fx39 ii. It’s the first reasonably priced 4x5 film that for me beats the more expensive Ilford options. Here is an example (photo of a print on Bergger CB baryta):

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/p35654...b5ad#hf279b5ad
    Nice shot. I don't recall seeing the adox film anywhere. But but i will keep looking. My usual suppliers are all digitally oriented, so I'm learning about a whole bunch of "new" small photography shops these days.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Froeschli View Post
    Nice shot. I don't recall seeing the adox film anywhere. But but i will keep looking. My usual suppliers are all digitally oriented, so I'm learning about a whole bunch of "new" small photography shops these days.
    Here's a good place to start http://www.adox.de/Photo/welcome-to-...e-photography/

Welcome to the club BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Froeschli View Post
    Yes in the Americas it doesn’t seem very known, but B&H does sell some of their products. Let’s hope it won’t last long before the whole line will be better available outside Europe

Meantime Burlington Camera in, DOH!, Burlington carry a basement full of fil and chemistry
    https://burlingtoncamera.com/
    and for those who prefer direct mail order
    https://store.amplis.com/collections/ilford-photo