Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-41 Question

Re: C-41 Question

I've since moved to Flexicolor chemicals but have used the Unicolor. They use hexanine as a stabilizer but it actually doesn't have any rinsing properties - it's mostly a biocide and a dye-stabilizer (required for older C-41 films but supposedly no longer needed for new films) as I understand it. Compared to Kodak Stabilizer I'm not sure how well it stabilizes but it's moot unless you're using old expired film. So to minimize spots, I would recommend doing a final wash (or two) with distilled water. Likewise mix all your chemicals with distilled water (including the rinse). This should help considerably.

Of note, Kodak offers a C-41 Final Rinse which is mostly a wetting agent (similar to Photo-Flo but not the same stuff). It has some biocidal properties, but doesn't have a stabilizer since modern films no longer need this (supposedly).

I find I get better, cleaner, negatives with the Final Rinse than I ever did with Unicolor's Stabilizer but the distilled water should go a long long way there (I wasn't previously doing that when I was using the Unicolor kit). You could perhaps buy some Kodak Final Rinse. It's inexpensive from Unique Photo if you're in the states. I wouldn't use Photo-Flo - it will probably work but I think it lacks some of the biocidal properties (don't quote me on that though).

Re: C-41 Question

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    I've since moved to Flexicolor chemicals but have used the Unicolor. They use hexanine as a stabilizer but it actually doesn't have any rinsing properties - it's mostly a biocide and a dye-stabilizer (required for older C-41 films but supposedly no longer needed for new films) as I understand it. Compared to Kodak Stabilizer I'm not sure how well it stabilizes but it's moot unless you're using old expired film. So to minimize spots, I would recommend doing a final wash (or two) with distilled water. Likewise mix all your chemicals with distilled water (including the rinse). This should help considerably.

Of note, Kodak offers a C-41 Final Rinse which is mostly a wetting agent (similar to Photo-Flo but not the same stuff). It has some biocidal properties, but doesn't have a stabilizer since modern films no longer need this (supposedly).

I find I get better, cleaner, negatives with the Final Rinse than I ever did with Unicolor's Stabilizer but the distilled water should go a long long way there (I wasn't previously doing that when I was using the Unicolor kit). You could perhaps buy some Kodak Final Rinse. It's inexpensive from Unique Photo if you're in the states. I wouldn't use Photo-Flo - it will probably work but I think it lacks some of the biocidal properties (don't quote me on that though).
    Really appreciate the thorough and comprehensive explanation. I will certainly experiment, as you suggest. Happy New Year!