Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cable release on a Technika board and Merry Christmas

Help with cable release on a Technika board and Merry Christmas

Hi everybody - I've just got my first 4x5 lens and camera I'm stuck on how to attach a shutter release. Could anybody help? All the usual one's I've got don't seem to fit into this contraption on the side.

Very frustrated as I'm desperate to give it a go.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201225_115511.jpg  

Re: Help please and Merry Christmas

Hopefully, someone with this style of Linhof branded shutter release will step in, but would it be possible to just remove that contraption and use a normal shutter release cable?

loujon

You have one of those Linhof "special tip" cable release connectors on your lens board, it kind of snaps in instead of screwing in.

As Alan has said if you loosen your lens from lens board then spin it out of the way of this "special tip" (which is attached to your lens board) and when you spin the lens around so the "shutter body is in a new position you can "bypass" the Linhof "special tip" allowing you now to thread a threaded cable release into the "shutter body" cable release port & that will get you making images using a cable release.

Hope this makes sense and it will get you shooting using a standard threaded cable release, then in the meantime look around for the special tip Linhof cable release if you want to use the system down the road.

You can get a Linhof heavy duty cable release from B&H. The tip will snap into the socket. Personally, I find these sockets more trouble than they are worth. You might want to consider removing it and attaching an extension tube like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	210888

It fits into the camera when folded and makes life easier.

Re: Help with cable release on a Technika board and Merry Christmas

Just order the LInhof cable release tip which screws on to the end of your cable release and then that tips fits and locks directly into the Cable Release Quick Socket on your lens board. Or, you could order the special LInhof cable release that has no threads on the tip and plugs directly into the Q/S socket on your board.

The nipple is 041066. The cable release is 002400. These can be ordered from any LInhof dealer or service center.

Curious if there are any specs or recommendations for cable release tip lengths etc. for Copal 0 and 1 shutters? When I started with 4x5, I just guessed when I bought my cables.

Linhof's cable release mechanisms SUCK.

Assuming you are not dead-set on using this lens on a Linhof with a handle and Linhof release, simple unscrew the two screws underneath the release socket and carefully remove all the hardware and save it for later. Use a small piece of electrical tape over the holes, and then use any standard cable release screwed directly into the shutter's socket.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Linhof's cable release mechanisms SUCK.

Assuming you are not dead-set on using this lens on a Linhof with a handle and Linhof release, simple unscrew the two screws underneath the release socket and carefully remove all the hardware and save it for later. Use a small piece of electrical tape over the holes, and then use any standard cable release screwed directly into the shutter's socket.
    I don't think he necessarily has to remove screws. Mine just slides off -- which is one of the reasons I don't like it!

That's true, but also easy to lose in the field!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

To tempoairly use it you can just loosen the lens retaining ring on the back side a bit and turn the shutter a little until you have room to insert your current shutter release. You can just move it back later if you do get a linhof nipple to fit in the quick-socket...