Thread: Anyone ever try to make a franken-camera

Anyone ever try to make a franken-camera

I have two similar model cameras, the calumet cc400 and its predecessor, the kodak master view.

I am debating if it would make sense to find a way to hook the rails and bellows together for some macro work.

I am also wondering just how much "room" i need there. If i could leave one camera in original condition and just find a way to mount the back end of the other camera to its front with the lens plate removed. Lens plate is 4x4, i figure there would be vignetting, but i shouldn't lose much if any of the image.

Anyone try anything similar?

Re: Anyone ever try to make a franken-camera

Never made one myself.

But my first LF camera was a "Franken" of sorts that I got for a few bucks at the Houston Camera Show in the very late 1980s. Someone had rescued the carcus of a Pre-Annaversary Speed Graphic. The focal plabe shutter had been removed as had the range finder, view finder and strap handles. The leather covering had been removed. Then all the holes and voids were filled in with something, ( "Bondo" auto body putty?) and all of it painted black.. Back then, I think. I bought it for around $20- and something in trade . . . .its been over thirty years now.

Looking it over at home ,I found that the bellows had probably been replaced. I swapped out the GG spring back for a Grtafloc back salvaged from obsdolete medical ultra sound equipment. Made a few lensboaerds from plywood and shot with several 1930s vintage lenses for a few years. Used ultra sound film (Kodak Ektascan) cut down from 8x10 and developed the images in the clinic's roller transport automatic developer machine (90 seconds dry-to-dry!).

Still have that camera.

Shot with that
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Froeschli View Post
    I have two similar model cameras, the calumet cc400 and its predecessor, the kodak master view.

I am debating if it would make sense to find a way to hook the rails and bellows together for some macro work.

I am also wondering just how much "room" i need there. If i could leave one camera in original condition and just find a way to mount the back end of the other camera to its front with the lens plate removed. Lens plate is 4x4, i figure there would be vignetting, but i shouldn't lose much if any of the image.

Anyone try anything similar?
    I have a tandem Graphic. Rear camera is a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, front camera is a Century Graphic, the coupler is a 2x3 film pack adapter with round tube attached to a 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic board. The two cameras sit on a 1.5" square section of t-slotted aluminum extrusion and are held in alignment by a section of 90 degree wooden molding that attaches to their side tripod mound.

Your cameras have bail backs. It might be possible to make a coupler similar to mine, using a film holder with a hole in it to mount in the usual place on the front camera and a lens board with a tube that will mate with the rear camera. The tube will go through the hole in the front camera. Don't screw around with connecting the rails, mount the two cameras on a long section of t-slotted extrusion. You'll have to drill the rear camera's standards and the front camera's rear standard to let you attach
    something that will hold the cameras in alignment.

skgrimes made my coupler. If you're serious, discuss the project with them. If you're not very serious, don't bother them.

Zebra

Kerry Thalmann made one that was wonderful.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-creation-LIFE!!!!

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I have a tandem Graphic. Rear camera is a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, front camera is a Century Graphic, the coupler is a 2x3 film pack adapter with round tube attached to a 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic board. The two cameras sit on a 1.5" square section of t-slotted aluminum extrusion and are held in alignment by a section of 90 degree wooden molding that attaches to their side tripod mound.

Your cameras have bail backs. It might be possible to make a coupler similar to mine, using a film holder with a hole in it to mount in the usual place on the front camera and a lens board with a tube that will mate with the rear camera. The tube will go through the hole in the front camera. Don't screw around with connecting the rails, mount the two cameras on a long section of t-slotted extrusion. You'll have to drill the rear camera's standards and the front camera's rear standard to let you attach
    something that will hold the cameras in alignment.

skgrimes made my coupler. If you're serious, discuss the project with them. If you're not very serious, don't bother them.
    You know, that sounds even easier than what i had pictured. Wonder if i coul just remove the ground glass and 3d print a dummy film holder that connects to a dummy lens board. Mount the two in sequence on a rail.

And no, not serious enough to throw money at it or waste people's time. Just intrigued by the concept and like working out solutions to such puzzles.

In the end, i just tested my new 165mm lens and i don't really see a need for longer bellows, especially if i can find a wider one to get closer up still (also, one monorail camera is plenty to deal with, two mounted and hooked together are more fun in theory than practice i bet.)