Thread: Metal Film Sheaths: how to make them?

Metal Film Sheaths: how to make them?

As most of you know metal film sheaths are used when flat film in old plate holders is used in stead of glass plates. Since it seems very hard to acquire 2nd hand film sheaths - at least for the dimensions I'm currently looking for (i.e. whole plate) - I was wondering whether fellowmembers have made them or had them made.

Some questions in this respect:

1. which metal (or other material) to use?

2. how can the edges be folded (i.e. one wants straight folds of course)

My Flickr

Re: Metal Film Sheaths: how to make them?

I've not made film sheaths, but I used 10x15 glass plates to place behind film to get a 10x15 Ideal operational a few years back. It worked well for me, and the glass plates were cheap, I got some from a shop that sells picture frames made in China. I cut down larger plates from those picture frames for ground glass, too.

There was a camera seller in Vienna who had film sheaths to sell but I can't think of his website and it has been a few years since I contacted him. Maybe this will jog someone's memory?

Yes, I have made Them from a range of sheet metals. Allow for more clearance than you calculate/Measure.
    Sheaths are not necessary with book-type plate holders - in fact, they are a hinderance in loading.

Thinking again, I see I ignored the original question which was how to make metal sheaths, I'm not sure about that. Perhaps Stephen can elaborate on how he made the folds, and in which metals.

Back to using glass plates as a substrate for the film, leaving a piece of glass in the holder worked so well for me that I kept on using that method even after I'd found some metal film sheaths for 10x15 cameras. The retractable pins in the plate holders kept the film in place well. Since it's whole plate maybe this isn't workable, I was thinking of plate cameras of the sort in Ron's profile photo (Zeiss / ICA and so on).

A magnet will tell you right away what kind of metal it is, I seem to recall the sheaths in my bag mags and grafmatics were aluminum.
    Bending the tabs would require a sheet metal bending brake, if you're handy with metal working you could cobble one together from steel angle
    that would at least get you 90 or more degree bend, you'll need another tool to finish the bend. Those folded edges are actually hems, they stiffen the
    sheath which is thin gauge sheet metal and keep the film in place.
    Lots of info on sheet metal bending if you search the web.

My last career was in a metal stamping plant, even thin metals need a heavy custom die to cut the outline, then a fancy die to fold or emboss.

Huge machines.

I would try a work around, such as I made years ago, https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ilm-holder-mod

Later I made it 10X16" for 2 sheets of 8X10, now the same frame is a 11X14 contact printer,

I recently got 4 Zinc metal film sheaths which I removed, as I don't want them, I will use the holders for plates

I have a standing WTB 18X24 Film holder/sheath on this forum, one member provided 3 to install in 8X10" film holders, they are very thin.
    Tin Can

The sheet metals I have access to have been either zink or electroplate (galvanised!) steel. Bending over a straight edge to the 90˚ position, then with as much Care as possible, Down to 180˚ with a spacer to prevent the worst faults. Appearance will be a bit rough
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 29-Dec-2020 at 13:54.

Last night reforming by hand tiny 23 Grafmatic septums/sheaths that were bent. The open end folds are designed to gently retain the film.

45 Grafmatics have little 'ears' to grip the film, that are part of the OE stamping.

Here is the repair manual PDF https://learncamerarepair.com/downlo...23-Service.pdf
    Tin Can