Hi,

I was looking to buy some 4x5 negative sleeves and was amazed how expensive these are (and difficult to find, at least here in Switzerland). Compared to regular A4 clear plastic folders/sleeves they are a complete rip off in my opinion.
Luckily, the A4 format is just large enough to fit 4 4x5 negatives with plenty of space on either side. I experimented a little and have now found a way to make 4x5 sleeves that are good enough for me at virtually no cost at all.
I just finished turning 20 regular A4 sleeves into 4x5 sleeves, enough for 80 negatives, so plenty to cover me for the x-mas period...
Maybe where you live these are available more readily and more cheaply. In this case, please ignore this post. Otherwise, please have a look, it's super easy to do and you could also try formats other than 4x5.

First, I took an old piece of (flat) wood and marked the outline of the A4 sleeve with a pencil. Then I drew two more straight lines dividing the rectangle into four more or less equal parts.
I also drew a shorter line about 5mm below the middle line (the image needs to be rotated 90° CW) to mark where the cut (the opening) for the bottom two negatives should be.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4116.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	210823

Next, I inserted some strong paper (light cardboard) into the sleeve (to protect the back from being cut).

Name:	IMG_4115.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	210824

and cut along the marked line with the help of a ruler and a scalpel.

Name:	IMG_4119.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	210825

The sleeve now looked like this:

Name:	IMG_4120.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	210826

I took a metal rod (a straight wooden board might also be possible; anything straight that does not burn or melt quickly) and a soldering iron heated to 250°C and slowly moved it along the marked line (about 1cm/s) to melt (weld) the front and back of the sleeve together.

.... tbc