Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth fixing a Schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm in compound shutter

Worth fixing a Schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm in compound shutter

Reading up on the lens my calumet came with, the schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm, f4.5, it looks like it is a decent one for portraits (too bad i am not a people person, i am horrified at the idea of making conversation whilst setting up a shot).

But, even just "eyeballing" it, i can tell the shutter speeds on the compound shutter are way off. (1s is about 2.5s)

So the question becomes, how much is your average CLA that includes shutter speed adjustment? Is it worth it?

I just set up the camera to get a feel for it, and i couldn't get a decent frame of my dog from 2m away. The lens just wasn't wide enough to get all of him (he is a big lad...) and not long enough to just get a head shot. Guess i could always move farther away and invest in a boatload of treats to train him to stay on the backdrop, no matter how far away i am...

So, debating on fixing this (lens) shutter or getting the 165mm with the ilex shutter and hope it is closer to what it should be. Though, if the shutter's face plate is from a different model, i expect i will have to test and mark the speeds manually as well.

On another note, does the fresnel lens really lighten up the image at the back enough to be worth the investment?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Worth fixing a Schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm in compound shutter

Call around for prices, but plan on $100 - $150 or so.

It is well worth it. You’ll likely be very pleased with that Xenar lens. Other opinions are sure to follow.

For me, fresnel has never been worth the effort. “Bright” GG is over-rated.

Thanks, yeah, the only place that has got back to me so far that will even look at it is a 2h drive - wouldn't even give me an idea of an estimate. Meh. I distrust that type of business.
    I will put this lens on the back burner, or clean it myself first. I know the lens itself is worth more than that, but i don't want to spend that much before I've even tried taking any photos with it.
    Turns out i have a friend who rehabs his own lenses, so maybe i will take it to him, he can clean the glass while i tackle the mechanics. Can't be much more complicated than other things i've worked on. Just smaller.
    At least it isn't glued shut like the newer electronics.

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Froeschli View Post
    On another note, does the fresnel lens really lighten up the image at the back enough to be worth the investment?
    I find that fresnel lenses are a good help when using wide angle lenses, but don't add much for the longer focal lenghts. When you find your ground glass dark when using a f4.5 210mm, you might look into a better ground.

Well, i just got a quote for $250 (canadian) to do a CLA. That just might buy me the tools to do it myself...
    I understand it is a specialized service, but asking as much to spruce up a lens as it is worth. Seems like a flawed proposition...
    Might take me five times as long, but it's not rocket science.

I'll consider the fresnel once I've worked with it some. I now have two cameras and two sheets of ground glass to work with, so maybe that will allow for some comparison. (And yeah, call me cheap, i just bought a camera (including lens and shutter) for $75, so spending that much on a fresnel lens seems excessive by comparison.

That’s quite a high quote. If I were you, I’d ask someone else for a quote.

Yeah i wrote to 3 watch repair places and about 5 camera shops. Maybe more. So far got 3 "no"s, one will quote after seeing it, and that 250-300 quote. I don't really want to ship it anywhere. I've yet to get a parcel that doesn't look like it's been chewed by a dinosaur...
    At this point i think i might just check the shutter speeds and work with what I've got. At least until i know what i want to do photography wise...

Not a bad plan you have. I generally have all old shutters overhauled when I get them to ensure reliability, but have also successfully gone the route you are going.

Perhaps it’s because it’s a Compound shutter that the price is so high... IDK. Seems like shipping afar for what is now specialized services is par for the course.

You may have seen this this already... and there seem to be a couple more DIY sites like it... if you decide on that approach eventually:

https://skgrimes.com/rebuild/product...ound-shutters/

If you need to see how the lens performs before a CLA you could find a low light subject that let's you use B or T. Or use an ND filter. Naturally this won't help if you normally photograph in bright sun light.