Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth fixing a Schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm in compound shutter

Re: Worth fixing a Schneider Kreuznach xenar 210mm in compound shutter

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Not a bad plan you have. I generally have all old shutters overhauled when I get them to ensure reliability, but have also successfully gone the route you are going.

Perhaps it’s because it’s a Compound shutter that the price is so high... IDK. Seems like shipping afar for what is now specialized services is par for the course.

You may have seen this this already... and there seem to be a couple more DIY sites like it... if you decide on that approach eventually:

https://skgrimes.com/rebuild/product...ound-shutters/
    Haha, i tried, but after filing down a (cheap) flat screwdriver so it would fit, i still couldn't budge the cocking lever screw. Before messing it up, i figure i will look for proper tools.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Compound shutters are very good shutters. A standard Compound CLAC recommended by the well-know repairer mentioned by Dugan is US$150.
    Having said that, consistency is more important than marked speed if you know what the actual speed is. So if your shutter is consistent and you can reliably check for this, just put an actual speed table on your lensboard and you're done. The best option is of course getting it serviced, e.g. by Carol Flutot; she will return to you a shutter that may well run better than new and she'll include an Actual speed table too.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    Compound shutters are very good shutters. A standard Compound CLAC recommended by the well-know repairer mentioned by Dugan is US$150.
    Having said that, consistency is more important than marked speed if you know what the actual speed is. So if your shutter is consistent and you can reliably check for this, just put an actual speed table on your lensboard and you're done. The best option is of course getting it serviced, e.g. by Carol Flutot; she will return to you a shutter that may well run better than new and she'll include an Actual speed table too.
    I think i will leave it alone for now. It does seem to be working better already, i think i first tested it when it came straight from storage, which is "heated" in the sense that it doesn't freeze. Now it's properly warm and the shutter has been fired a few dozen times, it seems to be behaving better.
    I'll leave the servicing until i decide this is more than an educational endeavour. Historically my follow through once I've figured out how something works, isn't exactly 100% ;-)

is there any chance the cells will fit another shutter?

how much you pay for the lens? will it be a great loss if a diy shutter clean doesnt workout? you cant break a broken shutter more than its already broken... it just wont work, just like it doesnt now. best case, it will work... its worth the gamble in my book.

I had an excellent experience with lensN2shutter, replacing a compur #00.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    is there any chance the cells will fit another shutter?

how much you pay for the lens? will it be a great loss if a diy shutter clean doesnt workout? you cant break a broken shutter more than its already broken... it just wont work, just like it doesnt now. best case, it will work... its worth the gamble in my book.
    hubby bought it 5 or 6 years ago for $400 (canadian) including a calumet cc400 camera. i don't think i could replace it for the same these days. so... i'm not worried i would mechanically screw it up, but cosmetically, struggling with that stuck screw on the cocking lever. also can't remove the rear lens element. and until i manage that, cleaning has to wait, so i don't accidentally strip what coating it has. debating penetrating oil vs a proper padded wrench... i can see both going sideways.
    but, the shutter is firing and the speeds seem to be picking up a little. so i am in no rush to take it apart anymore...