Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Reflex-Viewfinder 4x5

Chamonix Reflex-Viewfinder 4x5

Has anyone used Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder - any good?

Price seems to be quite reasonable, but wondering if it really can serve as an adequate replacement for focusing with loupe under dark cloth.

Re: Chamonix Reflex-Viewfinder 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Has anyone used Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder - any good?

Price seems to be quite reasonable, but wondering if it really can serve as an adequate replacement for focusing with loupe under dark cloth.
    Not really a substitute as, in order to view the entire gg image, they are usually only 2x magnification. To focus critically you need 4x and stronger with the ability to adjust the eyepiece to focus on the grain side of the gg.
    We always called them an art directors aid as the image is not upside down. Though, since it uses a mirror, the image is reversed left to right while viewing through it.

Have been using a Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder for probably 3 to 4 years. 90% of the time opt for the reflex finder over a dark cloth. Attaching it securely to the back of the camera took some time to get used of doing. Can't view the whole image on the GG with a 65mm lens, but that's to be expected. Would absolutely buy one over again.

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like it could be interesting accessory to try, though not a full replacement. I am familiar with right-left inversion from MF, and I actually like vertical inversion of view camera. Focus precision is of utmost priority for me, so for now I tend to stay with loupe only (also for weight reasons).

In general, I have and use the Sinar reflex viewfinder on the P2.
    I second what helios said, I prefer the upside down image, it's more abstract and that helps me with finding a balanced composition.
    However, I start mostly with the reflex view finder, to set the shot up. It is a lot less hassle than working with a dark cloth.
    For critical focus and final composition, I detach the reflex view finder and go for the loupe.
    Indoors I use only the reflex view finder all the time.
    Last edited by fotopfw; 24-Dec-2020 at 03:22. Reason: logical faults
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Anyone mounting this to something other than a Chamonix?

I have the reflex viewfinder with my Chamonix 45H-1. Works nicely with a 300mmm lens to set up and view composition. But then you really need to use a separate loupe for final focusing. So you have to take it off the camera. Takes up a lot of room in my camera case. With my 90mm and 75mm, it's hard to see the sides. With a 150mm, it's a little better. I think you still need a loupe and dark cloth.

I also have their foldable viewfinder to try in lieu of dark cloth. But it really doesn't work that good.

Yes I own it and for me it works much easier than the folding viewer with carbon cover. It focuses perfectly for me. It’s a bit bulky in my backpack but it’s worth it above the time-consuming dark cloth. Maybe you can see flaws here but I’m quite satisfied with this take with the Heliar 210 on ADOX CHS 100 ii; I focused on the centre of the rose and did some movements with the front plate to get the foreground sharp, all with nothing else than the reflex finder.

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Yes I own it and for me it works much easier than the folding viewer with carbon cover. It focuses perfectly for me. It’s a bit bulky in my backpack but it’s worth it above the time-consuming dark cloth. Maybe you can see flaws here but I’m quite satisfied with this take with the Heliar 210 on ADOX CHS 100 ii; I focused on the centre of the rose and did some movements with the front plate to get the foreground sharp, all with nothing else than the reflex finder.

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!

As I am mainly shooting landscapes, I often find myself in a situation where I have to focus on tiniest branches of trees or other very small details, located all over the GG. Maybe it's my bias from MF times, but I would anticipate that Reflex-Finder allows to see best the center part of GG, with other parts and especially corners being less "accessible". How would you describe it? I find valuable with the loupe that every point on GG is equally accessible. Weight and bulk saving is another bonus, quite important point for me, but that's really personal. Could you also tell how heavy it is? Is it more like 200 g i.e. lightweight lens sort of range, or more like 500+ g?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have the reflex viewfinder with my Chamonix 45H-1. Works nicely with a 300mmm lens to set up and view composition. But then you really need to use a separate loupe for final focusing. So you have to take it off the camera. Takes up a lot of room in my camera case. With my 90mm and 75mm, it's hard to see the sides. With a 150mm, it's a little better. I think you still need a loupe and dark cloth.
    Thanks, seems to make perfect sense. Good composing tool, but to focus reliably loupe is hard to avoid. Then everyone decides for him/herself on whether it is worth carrying the extra weight / bulk.