Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 75mm / 90mm lens?......totally kidding, but not really...read on pls

Re: Best 75mm / 90mm lens?......totally kidding, but not really...read on pls

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    What PITA? You mount the cf before leaving for the job. You stop the lens down at least 2 stops from wide open and dial in a 1.5 filter factor on your meter. That way the only extra step is the filter factor, which you would have anyway if you use most filters.
    Well, for one thing, the CF for a 90mm that takes 67mm filters steps the filter size up to 86mm. So, it's harder to pack and requires the expense and bulk of carrying a set of 86mm filters just for use with the CF. That's in addition to the 67mm filter kit (or 52mm filter kit) I already carry in the field.

That's what I call a PITA, especially when I can get by with no center filter and a 67mm filter mounted directly on the lens when I need it.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Well, for one thing, the CF for a 90mm that takes 67mm filters steps the filter size up to 86mm. So, it's harder to pack and requires the expense and bulk of carrying a set of 86mm filters just for use with the CF. That's in addition to the 67mm filter kit (or 52mm filter kit) I already carry in the field.

That's what I call a PITA, especially when I can get by with no center filter and a 67mm filter mounted directly on the lens when I need it.

Best,

Doremus
    Or you could just buy a couple of step up rings and use the 86mm filters on all the lenses and just have to carry one set of filters, yes, they are more expensive then the smaller sizes but should be the same, or less, then buying filters in both smaller sizes.

Or don't worry about because most of the times the CF isn't needed!

Doremus - I was only talking about tilt, wrt the image circle. Certainly for rise/shift you don't have as much to work with as other lenses. But I would imagine you could tilt as much as possibly needed for "max DOF" reasons with almost 200mm image circle yes?

I've debating picking up a 75mm lens of that spec. I have a 75mm Biogon for reasons as well as the 72mm XL, both of which are of course huge and heavy w/ commensurately big filters. I tend to go from 90mm straight to 58mm though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You guys got me tied back in a knot!!

Now I'm thinking I should go with a 90mm and if I want a wider lens then jump to the 75mm, but if all good, then I'm done...

I think I'm going to stop posting questions!!!

Not...
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

This should be dictated by the type of photography you are planning on doing most. Given limited funds, generally speaking a 90mm is probably a more useful choice than a 72/75mm for a first short focal length purchase.

So to put this in 35mm perspective, I shoot with a Nikon D810 and I either have the 18-35mm or the 70-300mm on it. When I use the wide angle lens, I typically zoom in just a bit from 18mm, I'd say about 20-22mm is my sweet spot OR I zoom to 35mm. So, more that 60% of the time I use 20mm and 35mm. The other 40% of the time is right about 24mm to 28mm.

This is what lead me to wanting the 75mm to start. The reason I asked this question (this thread) was to see if there were any technical issues I might consider when selecting a 75mm or 90mm.

By the sounds of it, the 75mm might present a few issues that might detract from it's glory whereas the 90mm is ready to go with little, if any issues at all.
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

I just checked DOF for a 75mm on 4x5 at .07 COC. YOu have an awful lot of DOF at f22, better yet at COC=.1. Would you even have to bother with tilts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg   Clipboard02.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    This should be dictated by the type of photography you are planning on doing most. Given limited funds, generally speaking a 90mm is probably a more useful choice than a 72/75mm for a first short focal length purchase.
    Indeed, I have both and because limited distance to subjects a 75mm is more useful for me then a 90mm. But then that's me.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just checked DOF for a 75mm on 4x5 at .07 COC. YOu have an awful lot of DOF at f22, better yet at COC=.1. Would you even have to bother with tilts?
    Tilts control the plane of sharpness. Apertures control the DOF. 2 different things that work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Tilts control the plane of sharpness. Apertures control the DOF. 2 different things that work together.
    But if I can get a DOF at f/22 with .1COC from 5 feet to infinity, why bother with tilts?