Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 75mm / 90mm lens?......totally kidding, but not really...read on pls

Best 75mm / 90mm lens?......totally kidding, but not really...read on pls

Okay, my thread title is an attempt at LF humor....I know it's rough, but some of you just though, 'Oh no, not another 'best' lens thread!'

If there's one thing I've learned through this large format experience, it that there is no "best" lens; they're all pretty much amazing for the most part.

It's a little like me asking you, what kind of chocolate chip cookies should I get? How the hell are you supposed to know that!! Do I like thin, crispy cookies or thick, moist ones? How about my chip-density? Do I like more chips or less? Or what about the size of the chips? Small chopped chips or big plumpt ones? There's so many different aspects to a good chocolate chip cookie, how can anyone say, Chips Ahoy are the best when Grandmother's might also be considered?

Same holds true for large format lenses. So, for all you experienced LF photographers out there, put your shotgun, spears and hand grenades down. Put the pin back....and read on. 😉

The question actually applies to the 75mm and 90mm lens choices. This is what I'm looking for:

1. I shoot mostly landscape. Color transparencies, print film and B&W. I will occasionally shoot architecture and portrait.

2. I prefer the more modern look. I have a Fuji 150mm. I'd consider that a mordern look, but I'm not married to that look and feel.

3. I would like something that is more contrasty than the Fuji 150mm. I notice I always need/want to add contrast to my images and feel like the 150mm could use a bit more pop. But it's not a problem.

4. I'd love to stick with 67mm threads if possible.

5. I really don't want a bohemith lens, but I'm not counting ounces either. Just a modest size and weight would be just fine.

6. 4x5 image circle is all that is needed, but It would be very nice to not run into limited movements due to an overly small image circle. I don't see a reason to limit myself with this lens unless the image quality was over the top amazing.

7. I've read a thread about lens personality, and I get it, but like I mentioned earlier, the modern look is what I'd prefer, but I'm open to see what other manufacturers can do. I'm not married to an all Fuji kit or all-German kit. I don't care if I sample them all, but I do value a high quality images from an excellent lens. Yet I'm not quite ready to drop $1500 on a stupid lens!! The $600 or less range is palitable and the $400 range is very reasonable, I think...

Ok....now, with that all said, got suggestions on the "best" 75mm and 90mm lenses??? 😁

Many thanks!!!

Adam
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Re: Best 75mm / 90mm lens?......totally kidding, but not really...read on pls

As you said, your question is silly. For your purposes, 75s from the big four (in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock and Schneider) are functionally equivalent. Same goes for 90s. There are faster ones and slower ones, respectively heavier and lighter.

Don't buy on maker, buy on price and condition. Fujinons tend to be less expensive than equivalent Nikkors, Super Anglonons and Grandagons. None is available new.

The biggest difference in 75's and 90's is coverage.

For the most part the larger aperture ones have larger coverage for movements than the slower ones.

I think the f/4.5's incredible, but really big. The f/5.6's and the f/6.8's seem like the best compromise between lens size and format coverage.

Are you including the cost of the center filter to help correct fall off in your price? They all have similar fall off but only Rodenstock and Schneider offered them for all of their wide angle lenses. Fuji for some of their lenses and Nikon didn’t seem to understand the need to offer center filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Are you including the cost of the center filter to help correct fall off in your price? They all have similar fall off but only Rodenstock and Schneider offered them for all of their wide angle lenses. Fuji for some of their lenses and Nikon didn’t seem to understand the need to offer center filters.
    Good advice!

Bob, for center filters see my article http://www.galerie-photo.com/center-...at-lenses.html, which recommends CFs from (in alphabetical order) Heliopan, Rodenstock and Schneider for Fuji and Nikon wide angle lenses.

OP, note that there's a consensus to the effect that a CF is needed for lenses shorter than 90 mm shot on 4x5. Many LF photographers don't feel the need for a CF on their 90 mm lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bob, for center filters see my article http://www.galerie-photo.com/center-...at-lenses.html, which recommends CFs from (in alphabetical order) Heliopan, Rodenstock and Schneider for Fuji and Nikon wide angle lenses.

OP, note that there's a consensus to the effect that a CF is needed for lenses shorter than 90 mm shot on 4x5. Many LF photographers don't feel the need for a CF on their 90 mm lenses.
    Unless they shoot transparency film, especially when using movements. Then the CF on a 90 becomes very important. Or using the 90 on panoramic like 617 cameras or backs, or on 57.

Very interesting. I need to read up on Center Filters. And no I was not considering the added cost of a CF.

That's also good info on the size/weight issue with the f-stop. I'm fine with a 5.6 or smaller starting point.

Adam, your question is not silly, but aside from that Dan is correct - don't quibble about sharpness, contrast etc. as long as you stick to the big four. All excellent. Look for relatively recent and best condition.

MAubrey and Bob make some important points.

If you need/want absolute maximum coverage, technically the last versions Schneider made in these focal lengths give you the largest image circles, However as you already know now, everything is a tradeoff. These lenses are BIG and relatively heavy, and take huge, expensive filters.

Realistically the Rodenstock and Nikon equivalents give you plenty of movement, and are a little smaller.

In addition, both Schneider and Rodenstock made center filters for these lenses. If you want to add those, they are also large, and big $. However you don't necessarily need the center filters. Not sure if you know what those are, but basically they are graduated neutral density filters that get more dense toward the center (usually 1.5-2 stops) to help compensate for falloff. Nikon and Fuji never made center filters for their lenses.

While the f/4.5-5.6 models typically have the most coverage, this isn't always the case. Nikon made two 90mm models - f/4.5 and f/8, and if memory serves they had the same size image circle. I have a preference for the faster lenses because I have a hard time seeing anything properly through these things as it is.

Full disclosure: I own the Schneider models. In retrospect I could have done without the extra coverage and gone with the Rodenstocks

Ok hold on a second...

Center Filters are filters that look like an ND filter but only in the very center? Is that to try to balance the lighting in the center to match the light that inevitably falls off on the edges? Is that what's going on here?

CRAP they are expensive and not readily available!!