Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Presence in 8x10 photography

Re: Presence in 8x10 photography

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelKurtz View Post
    Some opinions ARE worth more than others. I'm going to go with John Szarkowski's over yours, when it comes to Stephen Shore.
    ++1!!!!!!!!

Drew Wiley

Such words of wisdom from savants who have opinions about opinions of people whose work they have never even seen. Now that is objectivity!

So dude, have you ever posted your work on this forum? I bet it's lovely!!!

Drew Wiley

Nobody has ever posted a print on this forum, or any other for that matter. Do you know what a picture hanging nail will do to the screen? I guess a lot of double-faced Post-It tape might work; but then you gotta clean it off. I prefer actual walls.

Are we giving Shore and some of these other photographers more credit than they deserve? Did Shore really understand the limitation of the colors in his film and shoot pictures to make them work? Or did he just go around shooting banal pictures of the countryside that some mentor grabbed upon and made a big deal out of? But he also did not understand why some people made a big deal out of them anymore than I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What does Evan Wittenberg have do with it? I've never even heard of him of on the dye transfer circuit.
    (Its "Evans", by the way) and if you actually took the time to read what I wrote in my initial post concerning what he does, you'd have maybe answered coherently. We won't be seeing your work in MOMA, Drew, and yes Szarkowski's analysis of Stephen Shore (including his physical prints, books, and exhibitions) over years and years will always hold more weight than yours, and don't worry, the idea is on the negative - New and improved prints can always be made.
    Last edited by ColonelKurtz; 26-Dec-2020 at 23:16.

Being unfamiliar with Stephen Shore, had to look. These images does not a lot for "me"..
    Brings up the question of what "IS" art and artistic expression? _again. Would art be defined by individuals privileged to impost their judgement, opinion and ...
    upon what they value and be Judge-jury-decider?

What about David Graham's Book ~Only in America~
    https://www.lensculture.com/david-graham-2

Bill Owen's book ~Surburia~
    https://americansuburbx.com/2010/01/...rbia-2000.html

Bernice

Being unfamiliar with Stephen Shore, had to look. These images does not a lot for "me"..
    Brings up the question of what "IS" art and artistic expression? _again. Would art be defined by individuals privileged to impost their judgement, opinion and ...
    upon what they value and be Judge-jury-decider?

Great fun to think about. I happen to like both of the people you mentioned. One of my favorites of all time is Robert Adams. Many people don't like him, don't "get" him, and don't want to. Thank God we're all different... it makes the world go round. Stephen Shore is an experimenter. He did things such as attempt to take a casual, "snapshot" style of picture with an 8x10 camera. The contradiction of the intense concentration, technique, etc... involved in using the 8x10 camera to take a picture that he wanted to have the appearance and feel of a casual snapshot, and many, many other ideas, is part of the attraction to his work, for me. I guess you might say he's a "photographer's photographer" of which the audience is usually quite small.

Robert Adams sure

What about:
    Imogen Cunningham

Edward Steichen

Joyce Tenneson

Howard Schwartz

Berenice Abbott

Nick Del Calzo.

___ ....

What do their images share in common?
    Bernice

I like all of the ones you have mentioned, except I'm not familiar with Howard Schwartz or Nick Del Calzo. A recent re-visit, at the moment, is Judith Joy Ross. A favorite portraitist...