Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

Re: Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

I've a few Baco 4x5 film holders---very well made, high quality stuff!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Ries Tripod Company until recently was located on Bainbridge Island, WA. They recently moved to Bremerton, about 40 miles from Tacoma. I needed a part for my Ries Tripod head, so it finally gave me an excuse to visit their plant. Very interesting tour! Although my Ries dated to the early or mid 1940s, they were able to supply a repair part at a fair price and repair it while I waited.. Anyhow, back to Baco. Ries told me they own the rights to at least the 4x5 Baco cameras.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Baco made both a Hollywood Junior and Senior clamshell head. That was Brett Weston's favorite for his 8x10, and I have one that he gave me years ago. Being only a clamshell, one must learn how to level the camera without the luxury of a three-way head.

I believe that Baco manufactured my first view camera, a Brand 17, so named for bellows extension. It was really a terrific camera.

I used a New Vue for a year or two. Like a few other cameras of that era it used screw focusing and had a revolving back. Movements were limited only by the quite stiff bellows. Another advantage of the New Vue and many other cameras of that time was the use of an ubiquitous 4 inch lens board. The extension rods for New Vue cameras are often missing. Some of the other similar cameras had built-in extensions. Someone who already has one of this class of cameras might well be satisfied with it. Anyone shopping for an inexpensive view camera should also consider the elegant Graphic View, the slightly more functional Graphic View II, the Kodak Master View or its offspring, the Calumet CC 400, or B&H monorail or more transportable flatbed cameras. They may cost little more than a New Vue or Baco.

Baco also made a head which tilts on two planes. I have one as well as a clam shell and rarely use any other head. I bought the clam shell from Cole Weston new for $5.

Baco was acquired by the Ries tripod company in 1976. The Baco head became the basis for the later Ries tilt heads. Ries went beyond Baco's head with the 2 way tilt. Ries still owns the rights to the Baco product line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    John Kasaian is right about the Calumet CC 400. Sometimes less expensive, and certainly less sophisticated, were the Burke & James view cameras.
    A Kodak Master View 4x5 is the same as a Calumet CC400 is the same as a Burke and James Orbit.

The Ries Tripod company bought the Baco company--I believe after it went out of business, mostly for the rights to produce a modified Baco tripod head. They have improved on it but the Baco head's influence still shows up in the Ries head.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Baco made both a Hollywood Junior and Senior clamshell head. That was Brett Weston's favorite for his 8x10, and I have one that he gave me years ago. Being only a clamshell, one must learn how to level the camera without the luxury of a three-way head.

I believe that Baco manufactured my first view camera, a Brand 17, so named for bellows extension. It was really a terrific camera.

Any photo of the Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

Dave