Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

Have Baco 4x5 ModelDPV Serial#1407, with 8 1/2 Wollensak lens. Anybody have any interest in these? Can't seem to find much info. Appreciate any help. Thanks. D Borden , dguesslee@yahoo.com

if it has swing, tilt, shift, rise and fall, I'd be interested in it.
    heh.....

Cheers

I've owned some Baco 2x3" filmholders. That's all I've seen of that brand.

I haven't inspected the Baco camera, and my source doesn't list any model #, so take the info for what its worth! In my old 1970 "Photography Directory & Buying Guide" (by Popular Photography), page 39, lists the Baco Deluxe camera as a view-type camera in 4x5, handling lenses from 3 1/2" to 15", revolving ground glass back, optional coupled rangefinder, 22" bellows extention, rising-tilting-swinging front with no back movements indicated. The photo illustrates a metal camera on double-rails with back focusing and (probably) a front standard which can slide fore/aft on the rails. Appears to be a very basic camera. Price in 1970 was $69.50.

From Vick's description of a Baco, it sounds like cameras marketed as Nue View or Brand View. Wrinkle finish in sort of cafe au lait brown for the former and black for the latter. The latter also has a handle on the side. The rods telescope and focus is with a single acme screw thread rod that moves the back..correct? However these have at least back tilt if I remember correctly. I know of 3x4 and 4x5s. The rigging and use of a rangefinder on what I'm thinking of would be a little awkward.

Re: Baco 4x5 Press-veiw camera

[QUOTE=tearcut1;765327. . . Does term graphic in these cameras relate to "graphics arts" camera?(i'm still an amateur)

I might make another post for graphic cameras as well.

Do you know any thifty sites where i can find large format and enlargers for this cheap?[/QUOTE]

The term "Graphic" as in Speed Graphic doesn't relate to the graphic arts. For more information on Speed Graphics go to www.graphic.org/. They are best known for press cameras. Other press cameras were Busch, Burk & James, Meridian, etc.

John Kasaian is right about the Calumet CC 400. Sometimes less expensive, and certainly less sophisticated, were the Burke & James view cameras. They do the job, though. There are a few long discontinued view cameras like Baco, Brand, and New Vue that one could use if desperate enough or the price is right. I still have a New Vue around here somewhare, but it is in sorry condition.

Most sites with the kinds of cameras you want are watched by other bargain hunters. The real bargains may be from someone cleaning out a studio or home.

Jim, it is www.graflex.org

I use a Baco Hollywood Senior clamshell tripod head on top of some Miller sticks and have to say that it is a very robust platform for my Norma. I have never seen another one nor have I heard much about the company. From what I found Baco was a company out of Hollywood Cal. after WW2 until the mid fifties. Everything I've seen from them is finished in industrial wrinkle finish paint. Yours may be a battleship grayish color. The tripod head I use came in black finish. Well made bare bones setup -- hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jim, it is www.graflex.org
    Thanks, Dan. I shouldn't hurry so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jayabbas View Post
    I use a Baco Hollywood Senior clamshell tripod head on top of some Miller sticks and have to say that it is a very robust platform for my Norma. I have never seen another one nor have I heard much about the company. From what I found Baco was a company out of Hollywood Cal. after WW2 until the mid fifties. Everything I've seen from them is finished in industrial wrinkle finish paint. Yours may be a battleship grayish color. The tripod head I use came in black finish. Well made bare bones setup -- hope that helps.
    Baco made both a Hollywood Junior and Senior clamshell head. That was Brett Weston's favorite for his 8x10, and I have one that he gave me years ago. Being only a clamshell, one must learn how to level the camera without the luxury of a three-way head.

I believe that Baco manufactured my first view camera, a Brand 17, so named for bellows extension. It was really a terrific camera.