Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a checklist?

Re: Do you keep a checklist?

Quote Originally Posted by fotopfw View Post
    No, ready to go bags for each format. I have a small list of items to add: light meter, film, the Sinar shutter (is always on the 4x5") if using 8x10".
    I will go with the dedicated bag idea, anyone use a Lowe pro flipside?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    I will go with the dedicated bag idea, anyone use a Lowe pro flipside?
    No, this bag is not exactly fit for 4x5”. I have the Osprey Farpoint 40. For smaller formats I hate backpacks. For me it’s either slow, or fast. For photography that needs a quick grab I use shoulder and waist bags.

I have a toolbag I use for 4x5. It is all ready to go with everything I need to shoot except the tripod. Things rarely used like polaroid backs or lenses not in my style stay home. I keep an ammo box of extra film in my vehicle too. does not get too hot here.

Once upon a time, I used to have one meter that sometimes was with the wrong photo equipment. I bought a second incident meter for my MF kit. Now I always have the meter too.

I have also tried to streamline the workflow in the field as I shoot.

I have pre-calculated the extension factor for my two most used lenses. Its written in pencil on the lens board. The 210mm needs 1/4 stop extra exposure for each inch of extension beyond eight inches. Thats not exact but has worked well. The 150mm needs 1/3 stop extra for each inch beyond six inches.

This is simple enough that it can be done in inclement weather in fading light when I am tired, cold and hungry.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew Wiley

Heck no. I'd probably forget where I put the list. I try to keep rather complete separate format kits ready to go. If I need to borrow something from a different kit or pack, I'll put a blue masking tape note on it.

Only list is with photos and serial numbers for insurance purposes, including a copy in a pocket in the camera bag in case ever needed in the field.
    As for the bag - everything has a particular place in it. Anything moved or missing and I know I have a problem and don't leave the location until I have it right. All formats have the bags set up that way.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Do you guys keep separate expensive meters in each kit? Filters?

Do you keep a checklist?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Do you guys keep separate expensive meters in each kit? Filters?
    I keep the meter always in a waist pouch, so I only have one. I have two sets of filter holders and adapters, one in the 4x5 bag and the other in the 8x10 bag. The filters are in a single pouch that I move to the right bag before heading out.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Recently I started keeping a check list with each bag. I have three bags/cases with cameras -two 4x5's and one 6x9. The lenses have all been adapted to fit the all three cameras plus filters.

Since I don't want to own three sets of lenses I have to be able to move them from bag to bag. It's all too complicated and leads to my leaving something at home.

So check lists are a good idea.

At the risk of looking like an forgetful idiot, I am going to actually share my list. This is taped to a cabinet in the darkroom and I wrote it up about 15 years ago after stupidly forgetting something really, really basic. I give it a quick check now if the bag isn't exactly like it was on the prior trip. I tend to pack different cameras in different bags more or less for every outing, so this has prevented some mistakes. Some of these things are not in the bag necessarily, but in the truck or car somewhere. Where the item requires explanation I will elaborate a bit. Not everything is necessary on every trip.

1. Camera
    2. Tripod [does the quick release plate on the camera match the tripod head? Yes, I have made this mistake.] I have since standardized so this is never an issue.
    3. Loaded (that's important) film holders, which are the right size (that's important too) for the camera
    4. Dark Cloth
    5. Filters, with step up rings as needed.
    6. Lens or lenses as appropriate, on lens boards that match the camera (that's important too) If using an adapter from one lens board size to the camera, bring that. I have one of these Mr. Grimes made that lets me use technika boards on a Canham. I fire off each shutter at 1/10th and at 1 second before they go in the bag so I know they are working properly. I can hear a problem at either of those speeds.
    7. Notebook with enough exposure cards. (I write down exposures and locations and so forth on two sided 3X5 cards. The notebook also has useful tables in it like Protar combinations and f stop conversions to mm, depth of field information, reciprocity, exposure indexes for using the backup meter in lieu of a spot meter, etc. When both sides of the film holder are exposed, then the card goes in the plastic bag holding the holder, which saves time in the darkroom when developing film) A pen is always stored in the notebook.
    8. Pentax digital spot meter, battery checked before each outing
    9. Back up meter (usually a battery-free Weston Master V, with the incident dome with the goofy name ["Invercone"], but sometimes a Luna Pro converted to modern batteries)
    10. Viewing filter
    11. Brush for film holders
    12. Magnifying reading glasses (2.5+ range)
    13. Loupe, because sometimes #12 isn't enough
    14. Small changing bag if taking Grafmatics because you never know
    15. Golfing umbrella if NWS says it will be windy
    16. Small GPS (Garmin etrex) for filling out the location information on the cards, if vehicle can give GPS coordinates and this is not a hike, don't need it.
    17. Backpack frame with bungee cords if walking long distances
    18. My 1898 patent date Stanley bullet level if taking the Deardorff
    19. One small microfiber lens cleaner, just in case
    20. 4x4" plastic translucent square for pre-exposure
    21. Two cable releases. I leave a short one in each vehicle all the time.

Perhaps I've forgotten something on the list, but I'm going from memory....