Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a checklist?

Do you keep a checklist?

Hi, do you keep a checklist of the contents of your camera bag, if so have you got one in a file you could share?
    Thank you all in advance

Re: Do you keep a checklist?

Ummm. . . .NO.

My 4x5 bag is packed as a grab-and-go shooting kit. The only thing holding me back might be loading the film holders. Often times, that is done in the car with a changing bag on my lap while my wife drives.

The "check list" is the open bag. Before leaving, I might zip it open to see all the cubbies filled. The check list part comes at the end of the shoot. Each piece of gear is stored in something before being stowed in the bag. With the exception of the Zone VI and the film holders, all other gear is stored in some protective case, wrap or bag. Lenses live in PhotoBackpacker boxes, light meter lives in its case, loupe stays in a Crown Royal bag, filters in a wallet etc. When packing up to leave, if there is an empty wrapper, bag, box oer case, tjhen there is still something to find.

There is not really that much stuff to bring on a LF shoot anyway is there? Camera, Film holders, loup, lightmeter, dark cloth. . . .Some (many) record data for each exposure, but that can now be done with the ubiquitus smart phone.

I guess I don't see the need to check off what is already in the bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1011183.jpg   10 Interior Deviders.JPG   P1011182.jpg  
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

My workflow is like Drew’s. My logistics are based on the idea that there is no time to pack at the moment I want to leave. Any photoshoot happens with my open backpack. It contains everything and after the shoot everything returns to the backpack.

I lose all lists, paper notes, computer files, and most things I try to remember/

I have said since childhood, "I couldn't introduce my mother to my brother as I would forget both names on the spot".

Yet I remember saying that hundreds of times...

pictures work even in memory, but never names, labels, jargon,

Cheers!
    Tin Can

Camera, focus cloth, Lens & caps, release. Nothing else in the bag. Film holders in a separate bag and meter in my pocket or around the neck. Add in a tripod, car keys and wallet and I'm at my weight carrying limit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0382.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	210908

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0384.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	210909

I used to keep a check list until one day when I forgot where I left it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

No, ready to go bags for each format. I have a small list of items to add: light meter, film, the Sinar shutter (is always on the 4x5") if using 8x10".
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

I also keep go-bags for each format, but the problem is that some filters and the Pentax spot meter goes with each - so I need a "Meter, Filters" list. Oh...also my watch with second hand - although I've forgotten this one so often that I've gotten pretty much dead-on with counting seconds!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I also keep go-bags for each format, but the problem is that some filters and the Pentax spot meter goes with each - so I need a "Meter, Filters" list. Oh...also my watch with second hand - although I've forgotten this one so often that I've gotten pretty much dead-on with counting seconds!
    Same here... except the meter is a Sekonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I lose all lists, paper notes, computer files, and most things I try to remember/

I have said since childhood, "I couldn't introduce my mother to my brother as I would forget both names on the spot".

Yet I remember saying that hundreds of times...

pictures work even in memory, but never names, labels, jargon,

Cheers!
    I share your issue with names. But for everything else, I have no memory problem ... it's a RECALL problem. It's in the brain somewhere if I can just find it.