Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do's and Don't's of Linhof Technika IV

Do's and Don't's of Linhof Technika IV

I am still learning my way around LF by using my Technika IV. However, I have recently come across two don't's that I didn't know about before. I'm curious if they are correct and am if I am missing any others.

1. The front standard is engaged onto the first rail by first moving the rail back to the standard. I.e. don't make the 'jump' from the storage position to the rail. I used to make the 'jump' and now take the extra step of moving the rail back first.
    2. Don't lower the bottom plate when focusing cams are installed, as the cam can be damaged. This one seems contradictory for a wide angle 90mm lens/cam rangefinder.

What other don'ts related to the Technika IV? I don't mind bumbling around making the usual mistakes, but I would hate to damage my camera.

Thanks!

Re: Do's and Don't's of Linhof Technika IV

I'm making the "jump" to the rail without moving it back. I haven't had an issue with it, after many years of use.
    Donīt know if the proper method is the one you describe, I actually never do this.
    I cannot remember the last time I used the cam, I think I removed it after a week. Cannot say about it.
    I use to put special care when closing the camera.. the front standard should be not compressed at all in the "first rail".
    All the controls must move smoothly without being overlubricated; if there is some rigidity (usually dry grease or dirtiness), the camera must be serviced to avoid damage. Specially the gears on the front standard.

How do you move the rail back to the standard when it's in the storage position? My Technika IV doesn't have an obvious way to do this.

When you say "lower the bottom plate", are you talking about dropping the bed? The cam has a hinge to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMarv View Post
    How do you move the rail back to the standard when it's in the storage position? My Technika IV doesn't have an obvious way to do this.
    Just figured it out: There's a spring with a circular tab which when depressed enables you to move the rail backwards. Had no idea that you could do that!

When you say "lower the bottom plate", are you talking about dropping the bed? The cam has a hinge to accommodate that.
    Yes, the bottom plate. Sorry about that.

I learned about the moving the rails backwards from this video. Starting about 6 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlMNSoL2LsE

Always remove the cam before dropping the bed, replace it after lowering the bed, otherwise the cam will become bent. It should be totally flat.

Quote Originally Posted by wyofilm View Post
    I am still learning my way around LF by using my Technika IV. However, I have recently come across two don't's that I didn't know about before. I'm curious if they are correct and am if I am missing any others.

1. The front standard is engaged onto the first rail by first moving the rail back to the standard. I.e. don't make the 'jump' from the storage position to the rail. I used to make the 'jump' and now take the extra step of moving the rail back first.
    2. Don't lower the bottom plate when focusing cams are installed, as the cam can be damaged. This one seems contradictory for a wide angle 90mm lens/cam rangefinder.

What other don'ts related to the Technika IV? I don't mind bumbling around making the usual mistakes, but I would hate to damage my camera.

Thanks!
    Don't squeeze your finger in the gap around the focus button.

Never use WD40 or anything else that will evaporate and thus end up on the bellows.

Never unscrew or "adjust" the rangefinder.

Make sure that the tripod mount is firmly seated in the bottom plate.

Never buy a wide-angle lens adjustment device, nor a Super-Angulon 8/65 with an image circle for 6x9. Instead, buy a Super-Angulon 8/75 with recessed Linhof lensboard. Or a Copal 3 lensboard with a 65mm focusing helicoid and Copal 0 hole.

Mount the Super-Angulon 8/90 directly into a pre-shift lensboard if you don't have a recessed lensboard.

BTW. after moving it backwards to store the lens in the body, make sure that the focusing rail is back in its normal position when you retract the camera bottom. Otherwise the focusing rail will bend.

If, when you go to close up the MT camera at the end of your various steps to get the focusing beds aligned, your camera does not click nicely and hold shut when you fold it into the clamshell shape, your top-most extendable rail was retracted a bit too far into the camera bed. If that top-most rail is not far enough retracted, you won't be able to shut the camera and you'll immediately detect a metal on metal clashing (not harmful) to tell you to retract that top-most rail a bit more; but if you retract the top-most rail too much then the camera will close up okay but won't click and lock properly in that closed clam shell shape.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    If, when you go to close up the MT camera at the end of your various steps to get the focusing beds aligned, your camera does not click nicely and hold shut when you fold it into the clamshell shape, your top-most extendable rail was retracted a bit too far into the camera bed. If that top-most rail is not far enough retracted, you won't be able to shut the camera and you'll immediately detect a metal on metal clashing (not harmful) to tell you to retract that top-most rail a bit more; but if you retract the top-most rail too much then the camera will close up okay but won't click and lock properly in that closed clam shell shape.
    You can also have a problem closing the camera if the RF cam following arm has lost its proper position and is interfering and preventing the front standard being fully positioned in the body. You can easily reposition the cam holder to its proper position.
    I’ve found in the almost 40 years representing LInhof in the USA that this was the most common reason that the camera would not properly close. Usually this happened when a cam was not in position.

Thanks all! I appreciate your comments and guidance. I would like to keep this camera humming along for years.