Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 300mm shutter

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 300mm shutter

Hi!

I thought this lens was normally delivered mounted on a Compur Electronic 5FS or on a Compound V shutter. I stumbled on a French catalogue on Voigtländer LF lenses from the 70s where there is a table showing shutter compatibility with the lenses in the catalogue and for the Apo-Lanthar 300mm it says: Compound IV.

Is it a mistake? Do you happen to know of an Apo-Lanthar 300mm mounted on a Compound IV?

Tnx.

Marco

Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 300mm shutter

Must be a misprint. No way that lens can fit into a Compound IV shutter. I have an Apo-Skopar 45CM in Compound IV. But I have seen pictures of Apo-Lanthar 30cm mounted in Ilex #5 shutter.

Was the catalogue anything like this: https://web.archive.org/web/20170123...tlander_2.html

It shows the 30 cm Apo-Lanthar in a Compound No. IV and the 30 cm Heliar in a No. V Compound. The Apo-Lanthar appears to be a bit larger physically with a stated lens hood size of 90 mm vs. 85 mm for the Heliar so from that standpoint I'd think it would also be in a No. V Compound. Maybe they did figure out how to shoe-horn it in to a No. IV, or as Hugo suggests, the No. IV is a mis-print. Last page of this catalog has a possible date code indicating 1964.

I have some Linhof literature that shows the App-Lanthars but doesn't detail the shutter sizes.

David

David,

If I understand it correctly, No. IV has the fastest speed of 75 of one second and V has that of 50. I do have another lens mounted on another Compound shutter which as an opening bigger than the one with Apo-Lanthar 30cm.

Hugo

Apo-Lanthar 30CM has a front diameter 90mm (outside rim to rim) and 85mm hole size into the shutter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29304-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	210730

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	210729
    I have seen them here and there on eBay. A quick search found a few.

Yes, David, the one I have is in French but it is exactly this booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris7521 View Post

Name:	29304-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	210730

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	210729
    I have seen them here and there on eBay. A quick search found a few.
    I am not able to figure out from the pix that it is a IV. Can’t see the fastest speed. Is it a IV?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    I am not able to figure out from the pix that it is a IV. Can’t see the fastest speed. Is it a IV?
    Its a Compound V shutter, 1/50th

My reason for asking is that I have an Apo Lanthar 300/4.5 on a Compur 5FS that has stopped working. After going through a couple of 5FS’s I gave up and my best bet is now a Compound V. These are less common than white truffles in February :-) though, especially if you want them in good working order, cosmetically ok and maybe even with a shutter scale starting with 4.5 ( but this latter I can survive without). The idea that you could use a IV was intriguing then, I have seen at least a couple of excellent ones in the past three months.

But I agree with Hugo, it must be a typo. The distance of the front cell from the shutter is such that one could conceivably machine a spacer ring that fits into the diameter of a IV, but even if this is mechanically possible I am pretty sure you lose some speed (forget f/4.5) because of the smaller diameter. And if you are unlucky you get also some serious mechanical vignetting.

I think it’s a typo.

Interesting the Ilex #5 solution. They may be not be as rare as the Compound V, but are still quite difficult to find though.

Oh, well, I will let my Lanthar take a well deserved vacation ....