Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Xenotar 150mm f2.8 lens problem

Schneider Xenotar 150mm f2.8 lens problem

Hello All,
    Was hoping someone could inform me. When my Xenotar 150mm lens is set to the "T" position, I am not able to cock the lens. The cocking lever remains immovable, and was wondering what the problem might be? I have never tried to use the Timer setting before, so maybe I'm not doing something, or maybe the timer function is actually broken... wondering. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Schneider Xenotar 150mm f2.8 lens problem

Self timer is V. Are you talking about the shutter speed T?

Ah yes, shutter speed "T" then. I only ever use this lens at around 200th of a second because I'm shooting portraits at f2.8 with iso 400 film, so that puts my shutter speed way up there. What is the shutter speed "T" ?

T = "time"
    B= "bulb" (I believe)
    When set on T, Press the shutter release to open up the shutter, press it again to close the shutter. I'm totally guessing but if the shutter is open, you have to press the shutter one more time to close it, then you can change shutter speeds.
    What is the make of the shutter?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	210703

Its a Compur shutter. When it is in T, I can open the shutter with a cable release, but to close it, I have to manually slide the shutter ring to B and beyond, which doesn't make sense to me, because I'm moving the lens in order to close the shutter. What am I missing, here? Thanks!

I don't know about this specific shutter, but many of the early Compur shutters with a T setting were designed so that you DO NOT cock the shutter to use either B or T. If you force the shutter when in the B or T setting, you will break something. If you cannot close the T setting once open, then the shutter has already been damaged or at the very least it needs servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelKurtz View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	210703

Its a Compur shutter. When it is in T, I can open the shutter with a cable release, but to close it, I have to manually slide the shutter ring to B and beyond, which doesn't make sense to me, because I'm moving the lens in order to close the shutter. What am I missing, here? Thanks!
    In short: T needs two "clicks"!
    B: Press the cable release to open, hold to make exposure, close by taking pressure off.
    T: Press the cable release to open, take pressure off, wait to make exposure, press the cable release to close, then take pressure off.

Best
    Jens

Yeah, that is my experience, so far. In B or T, I cannot cock the shutter with the cocking lever. The lens works well in all settings, besides the one problem that once the shutter is set to "T" and is opened with a cable release, I cannot close it without sliding the shutter ring to B and beyond. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myriophyllum View Post
    In short: T needs two "clicks"!
    B: Press the cable release to open, hold to make exposure, close by taking pressure off.
    T: Press the cable release to open, take pressure off, wait to make exposure, press the cable release to close, then take pressure off.

Best
    Jens
    Ok I'm not crazy, but this method was not working before, and now it is. Thanks!

Don't force the cocking lever on the shutter in T or B or else you will break your shutter.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome