Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Re: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If it doesn’t cut off at maximum rise then it isn’t a very effective hood.
    Bob, could you explain this? Doesn't the hood attach to the lens so it rises together?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Bob, could you explain this? Doesn't the hood attach to the lens so it rises together?
    To effectively eliminate flare your hood or compendium has to be as long as your bellows extension and have an opening the size of the film. That eliminates all extraneous light. And, with your system, if you use back direct displacements your hood will vignette.
    Think of using a fixed length hood on a zoom lens. If it works effectively at the longest focal length it isn’t doing anything at the widest setting. If it is effective at the widest focal length it isn’t effective at the longest focal length. And it can’t be effective at intermediate focal lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    IC,

This is a slip-on bracket for a Toyo shade that works on my V8

Attachment 210707Attachment 210708Attachment 210706

Might provide some ideas for you.

Good luck,

Len
    Nice looking sheet metal work. Did you do it yourself?

David

Multiple 8x10's I've had (and have) have been (are) prone to internal reflections. That was true with a 2D that I had, a Sinar, and now with my Oschwald era Arca Swiss.

I use a Lee compendium lenshood with my current 8x10, and I find that I need a mask with 4x5 ratio opening to reduce internal reflections. My Lee has attachments on the end that can hold a mask. So, problem solved.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 19-Dec-2020 at 21:36.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Nice looking sheet metal work. Did you do it yourself?

David
    David,

It is well designed and well built, and beyond the equipment I have and my skill capability...

Had a couple of really skilled sheet metal workers in the adjacent unit where my wife worked. They did prototypes and short production run work, and designed and built it when I told them what I wanted.

I like that it accommodates the V8 separate rise control and that it required no modification to the camera itself.

I think the concept could be applied to other field cameras that do not have dedicated means to mount a compendium shade.

Hope that is useful,

Len

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's an unusual combination:

Toyo Compendium hood and Cokin Z Pro holder with 4x4" Cokin Z001 Yellow filter on a Toyo 810MII.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    To effectively eliminate flare your hood or compendium has to be as long as your bellows extension and have an opening the size of the film. That eliminates all extraneous light. And, with your system, if you use back direct displacements your hood will vignette.
    Think of using a fixed length hood on a zoom lens. If it works effectively at the longest focal length it isn’t doing anything at the widest setting. If it is effective at the widest focal length it isn’t effective at the longest focal length. And it can’t be effective at intermediate focal lengths.
    Sorry. I don't think understand the bolded part. Are you saying that if I'm shooting a 4x5, and the lens extension from the film plane to focus is 120mm around 4", then the hood opening should be 4x5" and extend out 120mm from the front of the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    ...some other makeshift solution (other than holding the darkslide with one's hand.)

Dinkum Systems Compact Lens Shade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KQFVYA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Sorry. I don't think understand the bolded part. Are you saying that if I'm shooting a 4x5, and the lens extension from the film plane to focus is 120mm around 4", then the hood opening should be 4x5" and extend out 120mm from the front of the lens?
    Yes that blocks all extraneous light from the image plane. Of course, it also has to be able to do the same movements as the front standard or it would cutoff.

Some nice solutions. Thanks for posting.