Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Re: Show Your Compendium Shade on a Field Camera Thread...

Nice.

Adapted by the previous owner: Toyo Compendium on a Technika 5x7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8178.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	221543

You’re all going to say that it’s time to buy a new lens hood. I could, but it’s only fifteen years old. Perhaps when I get paid, but it’s rewarding to do a repair even if it’s not pretty. A little Gardner Bender liquid tape did the magic. This repair started innocently enough but I soon noticed all the minor separations which turned into major ones when putting the hood under more stress than it normally gets. I did try to do the fix in layers, but it didn’t go so smoothly. However, it is quite functional, and I’m putting it to work this week!

Name:	92AD65A6-3711-4BE2-9023-FB7C4A6C5015.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	221713
    Garry Madlung
    Veteran of many tours of the Canadian Rockies

Carpenter

I've found an out of the box solution...sort of... for shading the lens: I remember seeing an image of, I think, David Ward with a black card attached to a flexible arm attached to his camera that could be manipulated to shade the lens in different orientations and angles. I think it might have been the old Ebony lens shade clip. Given, this isn't the full on matte box or compendium, but merely a third hand borrowing the duty from the busy photographer who would usually try to shade the lens with the pulled dark slide while observing the scene and pressing the shutter release.
    After some research I found that the Flare Buster brand is also kaput. The Dinkum system looked a little bulky and looks like its meant more for the film industry. I found a few others, but settles on the SmallRig Simple Shade 3199. It's not perfect but works as intended and is pretty light weight and has a 1/4-20 end to screw into as well as a cold she mount. I can unscrew the card from the flex arm and attach it directly to the adjustable arm I mention next if I feel so inclined.
    I added this to a universal arm by Leofoto. These things are super handy as you loosen the large knob the tension in the entire system eases up gradually and it can be manipulated into just about any position, then you tighten the knob and its damn solid. I added this to a small Arca style clamp that has a 1/4-20 female thread on the side. This whole contraption is then mounted to the Arca Swiss rail and can be slid to and fro along the length, again, adding in more adjustability. I also have a couple clips that Leofoto offers that have the threaded end and can be attached to the arm as well. With the clips I can hold what ever type of shade I want. One could even hold a filter if you hade to.
    I've only used is a couple times but it works just as intended; allowing me to set the shade, then focus on the picture making task. There are a lot of options and I guess I could even fashion a shade for ground glass viewing in certain situations.

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	222067

I have a compendium for my Mamiya RB67 medium format camera. It screws on the front of the lenses, all 77mm threads. Now on my 4x5, I have 77mm adapters so I can use the same 77mm filters from my MF Mamiya. The compendium will screw on the 4x5 lens' adapters. But how do I deal with movements? I assume I'll have vignetting.

I usually just use my dark slide.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I usually just use my dark slide.
    And if you have sun from above and strong spectrals from another direction?

Drew Wiley

Bob nailed it. I often had to deal with not only direct sun, but brilliant reflections down below off water or ice at the same time. So adjustable compendiums are the best option. I have both the Lee compendium system with appropriate step rings, and Sinar compendium components compatible with their own system. But I do admittedly go ultralight at times with just a special little lockable swivel attachment atop the front standard that I cannibalized form an old drafting pen setup. It is combined with a simple clip permanently retaining half a darkslide. Sure beats a cowboy hat at least. Less lice and fleas; and once adjusted, can be checked for position through the cut corners of the ground glass.