Thread: Photography of Carl. Chiarenza

Photography of Carl. Chiarenza

Recently, I received the latest monograph of photographs by Carl Chiarenza. The work is noteworthy for many reasons, but especially inspirational during these times of lockdown. Since the 1970's, Carl has photographed indoors, in his studio. The results are presented as beautifully crafted gelatin silver prints.

I was introduced to Carl by Paul Caponigro on my visit to Boston in 1959. At the time, Carl was studying at Boston University on his way to receiving the Ph.D from Harvard University in 1973. He has had a long and distinguished career as a Professor of Art History.

Fortunately, Carl has an excellent website for perusing his photographs and achievements over a career spanning almost seventy years. Check out the "Image Galleries."

www.carlchiarenza.com
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 17-Dec-2020 at 08:04.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Photography of Carl. Chiarenza

Merg, thank you. So much to see it is overwhelming. Wow!

Wonderful to see where, and how far...Carl's travels have taken him - no matter that he hasn't left his studio!

Wow! Those are very creative images---thank you for the link.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Carl is the author of "Aaron Siskind: Pleasures and terrors" which I love....

Carl Chiarenza's work is also first rate which led me to obtain one of his books too.

Ray Van Nes

Thank you for reminding us of him. I have a small monograph published by Lodima Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Van Nes View Post
    Thank you for reminding us of him. I have a small monograph published by Lodima Press.
    Hi Ray. Another excellent monograph of Carl's work is the small monograph published by David Godine in 2008: "Pictures Come From Pictures." Nicely printed, and easily obtainable at a good price. Photographs from 1955-2007; the early works reveal where Carl was headed!

This work also inspires me...in thinking/knowing that the time will come, sooner or later...that I will become less mobil - that there might still be some creative potential awaiting me in my own studio.

As it is right now...I really prefer to go out and find things as they are. But Carl's work so transcends the term "set up" and goes to places both infinite and mysterious...both despite of and in concert with his sometimes (often) "literarily derived" titles. And after all...Don Q. and Sancho P. were also courting the infinite in their own quest - much as I feel many of us here do with our cameras. And there is no ego in the act of this courting...none!
    Last edited by John Layton; 20-Dec-2020 at 09:25.

As an update, for those subscribed to this thread and missed the announcement of Carl's retrospective at the Eastman Museum, take note: https://www.eastman.org/carl-chiarenza-journey-unknown

Thanks,
    Merg