Thread: Basic Linhof Master Technika Questions

Basic Linhof Master Technika Questions

Hi I’m trying to figure out basic Linhof master technika operation.

I know you place the upper Tract in the very front position for telephoto, middle position for “normal” and in the position closest to the ground glass for wide angle.

But what focal lengths ranges do you have for each position? I’m assuming that 210mm lenses would have the upper tract in the middle position.

Then could someone help me understand what the f=135mm, 180mm, and 90mm mean next to the distance scales?

I’ve tried to watch some YouTube videos and read the manual but they weren’t too helpful for the specifics.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5CD8792C-0EEC-48EB-9030-62299665615B.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	210632

Re: Basic Linhof Master Technika Questions

Wait for Bob Solomon for the definitive answer, it has been some time since I used my TechIII, but the front rail on which you clamp the lens standard should have (self made ?) notches on which you fix the front standard. This would mean if you use the scales a notch at teh infinity signs for a 90, 135 and 180 mm lens. The front rails should be completelt retracted.

On my camera there is just one notch, and I could use lenses from 90 to 210 mm from that postion. I guess when you use the groundglass there is no need for the scales anyway

Good luck

Cor

Thank you!!

Yes I still need some help.
    I think when using the GG it doesn’t really matter, and infinity stops on the upper tract don’t really matter and is just for convenience?

My upper tract doesn’t have notches to fix the front standard. But I think I can buy infinity stops, and put them where I want it for my 210mm lens.

For the range finder distance scale I think the previous user installed them wrong. I think the 180mm should be furthest from the GG.

Bob could you help with this? I’m just curious now if my upper tract should be in the middle position or fully extended for a 210mm lens. I guess it doesnt matter and I just need to to test it out to see where infinity is on the middle and fully extended position for the 210mm.

Quote Originally Posted by johnj88 View Post
    Thank you!!

Yes I still need some help.
    I think when using the GG it doesn’t really matter, and infinity stops on the upper tract don’t really matter and is just for convenience?

My upper tract doesn’t have notches to fix the front standard. But I think I can buy infinity stops, and put them where I want it for my 210mm lens.

For the range finder distance scale I think the previous user installed them wrong. I think the 180mm should be furthest from the GG.

Bob could you help with this? I’m just curious now if my upper tract should be in the middle position or fully extended for a 210mm lens. I guess it doesnt matter and I just need to to test it out to see where infinity is on the middle and fully extended position for the 210mm.
    Go to the LInhof factory web site. Go to Service, then downloads and download the MT instruction book.

Bob's advice is spot on -- spend some time with the instructions and general info about large format photography. (There is a lot on this site.) If you open the camera and measure 210 mm from the film plane, that would be the approximate location for an infinity stop for a 210 mm lens--where it focuses at infinity. This is also a good place to set your lens, if you do not have an infinity stop. This is on what you are calling the top track. As you focus closer than infinity, you will of course move that track outward, increasing the distance to the film plane. Unless you are focusing very close, you should not have to use the other tracks with a 210 mm lens. The exact location of an infinity stop is calibrated for a specific lens, and without a stop, you will need to use the ground glass for focusing. Hope I am not stating the obvious and that this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Bob's advice is spot on -- spend some time with the instructions and general info about large format photography. (There is a lot on this site.) If you open the camera and measure 210 mm from the film plane, that would be the approximate location for an infinity stop for a 210 mm lens--where it focuses at infinity. This is also a good place to set your lens, if you do not have an infinity stop. This is on what you are calling the top track. As you focus closer than infinity, you will of course move that track outward, increasing the distance to the film plane. Unless you are focusing very close, you should not have to use the other tracks with a 210 mm lens. The exact location of an infinity stop is calibrated for a specific lens, and without a stop, you will need to use the ground glass for focusing. Hope I am not stating the obvious and that this helps.

To the OP: 'Not trying to be smart here, but keep in mind (if you are not metric system-oriented) there are 25.4mm to an inch; so your 210mm lens will require about 8.25 inches distance between the film plane and the lens board to be focused when your subject is at infinity. That is a bit more than the distance between my thumb tip and middle finger tip when those two fingers are fully extended. That's how I determine (approximately) where, to pull the lens board out to when I set up my MT 2000 in the field if I expect to use my 210mm lens --- SIMPLE. However, when working with your MT and a 90mm lens (or especially any shorter lengths), be careful that the front of that top focusing rail might show up in the bottom of your image (composition) on the film if you don't manage your camera so that the lens is as close as possible to the front of that top focusing rail when you have it focused. Speaking from experience, you can even get into that trouble with a 110mm or 135mm lens on a MT if you're not aware of this possibility.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Your top track does have notches in it which are released by pressing the sprung levers on the right of the track (or at the top of your picture).

Get into the habit of pulling the top track back as far as it'll go towards the shell (by releasing the levers) so you can move the front standard onto the track without it hanging free. Mount your wide angle and slide it along the track using the standard clamps without touching the focus control until infinity is in focus, then mark the top of the track with a sharpie. Then do the same for your standard and tele lenses, using a different colour for each. Bear in mind that infinity stops can leave marks in the rails from the tightening screw.

The marks will wear off, but can easily be renewed.

That's how i operate my MT2000. If I need to go close with (say) the 210mm, then i release the track levers and pull the track and standard forward and refocus.

Mike