Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

Foamer

Re: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

Chamonix 045n, c.1922 Heliar 150mm, FP4.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

In spite of all the lenses I own, the last few years I have been usually using the 300mm Fujinon W on my Shen-Hao 8x10.

Linhof Tech 5x7 and either a 240 or 300 Heliar in shutter... never miss with this combo... it's magic

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The more I eat and the older I get, the larger the format of my body seems to be.

Not yet sure about the lens, though...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Plaubel 5x7, 300mm lens; 210mm for a wider view in a cramped forest for example. That's my go to I guess. . . . 8x10? 250 wide field and a 360mm. Use that less. 4x5 calumet mostly use the 210, also have a 135mm, 300, & 360. Most versatile.

For portraits I prefer the Mamiya RB with a 127mm. It's less confrontational - the subject only sees the top of my head. Scrutinizing a subject with a huge camera next to me makes subjects uncomfortable - then I'm uncomfortable. 35mm cameras with eye level finders are the worst, like pointing a gun. A TLR is nice too, a quirky looking thing, doesn't seem to put people off . . .

(Personal preferance folks - I'm sure lots of you take beautiful portraits with 35mm and view cameras. I don't mean to sound like a hero . . .)

This (L-45A, but one which I've converted to 5x7) with a 210mm Sironar-N:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L-45A.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	210640

But recently...I've been "grab-ing and go-ing" with this (5x7 mashed together from leftover plywood):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minimalist 5x7 #2 copy.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	210641

(oh...and that's a 150 G-Claron on the woodie)

I enjoyed looking at your work.
    Nice to be able to compare the different format and their resulting images.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    Linhof Tech 5x7 and either a 240 or 300 Heliar in shutter... never miss with this combo... it's magic

I have been shooting primarily with a 210L Fuji and a Deardorff with the 4x5 back for most everything I do (portraits & landscape.
    Doing this since I started in the LF in 2012.
    I find it handy as I carry less & know what the camera sees before setting up.

Sometimes I use the 5x7 back with the same lens & also have use a 12" commercial Ektar.
    Recently added a MT, but have used it sparingly to date, came with a 150 Rodenstock, but got a 210 for it.
    Wanted to try something different for fun and to see how it would affect my images being the camera makes me alter how I work a. bit.
    It remains to be seen, if it was worth the effort.

Meridian 45B, with a Kodak Wide Field Ektar 135 mm. The Meridian is the only LF camera I have ever owned, and have no plans on changing.

Hard to imagine a better 'all rounder' field camera system than those produced by Chamonix. For lenses, I gravitate toward late Caltars, because they're Rodenstock for less.

For film holders, Toyo and Chamonix when I can afford them. I use a lot of Fidelity holders as well however.