Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

What's your Go To LF body & lens?

I am trying to get a feel for this group's favorite LF body and lens for portraits and landscapes.
    Please state your everyday LF body & lens. A photo would be nice, too!
    Thanks

Re: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

Canham DLC^2 4x5, Rodenstock 150 lens. You have to understand that all view cameras are compromises between weight, rigidity, precision, flexibility in lens choice, and ease of set-up. The Canham just happens to be my compromise, I have also owned a Sinar F and a Wista wooden folder, and all were excellent within their sets of compromises. Similarly, the 150 is my most used lens, but for portraiture I would go longer and use my 210, but you asked for one lens.

Format size?

Generally...wood folding field cameras and close to 'normal' focal lengths for the format...heavy on the Fuji Ws in Copal shutters. All landscape work.

Me out with the 5x7 (Zion NP -- Eastman View No.2 w/ Computar 210/6.3), and the 11x14 (Chamonix 11x14 w/ FujiW 360/6.3) at Tunnel View and in the Redwoods

For years I used a Gowland PocketView w/ a Caltar IIN 150/5.6 (2.5 lbs with the lens) -- great for backpacking/biking, etc. It is a rail camera, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaughn in Zion Nat. Park - 2.jpg   EV2_5x7a.jpg   11x14Portrait.jpg   FernCanyon11x14.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 15-Dec-2020 at 10:30.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

For "portraits and landscapes?"

Well I rarely use the same camera for both of those. So I don't really know how to answer that. Other than, "it depends."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

https://flic.kr/p/Tgm95V
    Ries junior tripod with 3025 head, pre anniversary 4x5 speed graphic. 7.25 inch verito soft focus lens.
    I keep two soft focus lenses and an aero ektar in my bag with the camera.

Landscapes: Ebony SV57, 180mm Apo Sironar N. Portraits: Nikon D810, 85mm Sigma Art. Yeah, not LF for portraits.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have several large format cameras but my go to camera is my Busch Pressman 4x5 with the Rodenstock Sironar-N 135/5.6 lens. I own a Sinar and other press cameras but find the Busch is the fastest and easiest to use for most situations.

After decades of view camera darwinism applied.. to the view camera pool of:
    Linhof Technika (both 4x5 & 5x7), Linhof Kardan, Linhof TK (demo unit), Toyo 810M (remains the FAVE 8x10 folder), Toyo VX (demo),
    Wisner technical field (wood), Dorf (wood), Horseman L monorail (had several and IMO extremely under rated), Horseman 45FA,
    Wista folder, Canham DLC (remains the fave folder) and ....

Only the Sinar system survives to this day for a VERY long list of reasons.

The outdoor camera is a 5x7 Sinar Norma with Sinar shutter and one of these lenses
    ~115mm Grandagon, 165mm Angulon, 10" Kodak Commercial Ektar or 240mm Xenar, 16-1/2" Goerz APO artar.

The indoor camera is a 5x7 Sinar P or P2 and a large variety of lenses in barrel. Only the modern wide angles are in shutter.

Most often used focal length for 5x7 or 13x18cm, 10"_ 240mm or 150mm _ 165mm.

Bernice

Wista 45 and Fujinon CM-W 125.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

If I mainly used only one camera and lens, I would have to explain to the wife why I own the rest of them.