Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

Re: What's your Go To LF body & lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In spite of all the lenses I own, the last few years I have been usually using the 300mm Fujinon W on my Shen-Hao 8x10.
    That was my only lens for 8x10 for many years -- a Fuji W 250/6.7 has snuck into use.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Running focal length preference count so far appears to be..

~Slightly longer focal length than "normal" focal length for a given format size.

~Slightly shorter lens focal length than "normal" or moderate wide for a given format size.

focal length lenses used for the majority of image made or the lens that is often on the camera.
    Question is, has this preference been driven by the way any given image maker sees and produces images accordingly?

Bernice

Bernice,

Probably a mix of both.

Those focal lengths are so versatile, not surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Running focal length preference count so far appears to be..

~Slightly longer focal length than "normal" focal length for a given format size.

~Slightly shorter lens focal length than "normal" or moderate wide for a given format size.

focal length lenses used for the majority of image made or the lens that is often on the camera.
    Question is, has this preference been driven by the way any given image maker sees and produces images accordingly?

Bernice

Years ago visited Joshua Tree National Park (camping & hiking) and Red Rock Canyon (hiking). 95% of the images that were taken in both places were with wide angle lenses. About a year later I visited The Adirondacks (camping & hiking) and The White Mountains (hiking). 95% of the images were taken with telephoto lenses. For a project visiting waterfalls in Western Massachusetts (hikes up gorges. Mostly 4th class with occasional 5.0), 100% of time I shot with a wide angle lens. To me location was a major determining factor for what lenses I will carried with me, especially when I was camping and had to keep my photographic equipment to a minimum

Since I shed my studio 4x5 and tripod for a more portable outfit three years ago in order to concentrate on natural light, on-location portraiture, it's a Tachihara 4x5 with a Manfrotto 3221. Though I began 4x5 in the '70s with a 75 in order to make a specific illustration photo for a book cover (Dope, Inc.), I soon acquired a Komura 210 and only very recently added to that (the 75 was sold) a 135 Nikkor-WS in order to add more environment to a portrait when needed. No plans for anything else. If I can't do what I want with this set-up, either I don't know what I want or I haven't tried hard enough.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

What great stories and information. Thank you all. Keep them coming. I try to learn something new every day.

... Question is, has this preference been driven by the way any given image maker sees and produces images accordingly?
    Bernice
    Bernice,

I choose slightly wider than "normal" because I crop my images when enlarging. Having a slightly wider lens allows me the option of cropping down to "normal" or not, but also allows me to get those shots that are just a bit wider than normal. So, for 4x5, I'll always carry the 135mm instead of the 150mm. If I have a choice on longer, I'll go with the 180mm instead of the 210mm, etc. Really, though, I like a large selection of lenses so I can get as close as possible to my visualized image with minimum cropping. It does seem, though, that I end up using the 135mm focal length most.

Plus, all my photographs end up having aspect ratios that are determined by the subject and composition, not the film format. I'm happy with anything from square to slim panoramas; whatever complements the subject and the message best.

Those that contact print and don't crop probably have another strategy.

Best,

Doremus

Bernice
    I think my response was driven in part by the OP's request for a [single] go-to lens. I actually have, for my 4x5, 80, 120, 150, 180, 210, and 300mm lenses, and use them as seems appropriate for the image I am making. But the lens I use most frequently is the 150, so I stated that one in my initial response. I guess that I apparently "see" most often slightly wide angle, and when I take my absolutely minimal stripped down kit on an airplane vacation (i.e. limits on carry-on) the one lens is either my Rodenstock 150/5.6 (better optics) or my even more compact Congo 180/6.3 (lightest).

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ...Those that contact print and don't crop probably have another strategy...
    Moving up in format size also influences the way one approaches image-making. But normal to wide-normal would be my choice if I needed to restrict myself to one lens. For 8x10 that has been 300mm (although loving the 250mm). 180mm to 210mm for 5x7. 360mm for 11x14 for now...a little on the wide side, but I'm loving it...and sometimes used on the 8x10. The 4x5 is sort of my neglected format -- just the 150mm, not often used, but if I have to go very light and 4x5 contacts will work, it is still a fine tool.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Deardorff V8 with a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar on the snout.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White