Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Standard 1.0 4x5 camera?

Re: The Standard 1.0 4x5 camera?

There look to be a friction knob on both standards for focusing -- took me a while to find them!

It is similar to the 4x5 I have been using since 1983 or so, but pre-3D printing, of course. But the Gowland PocketView has no major use of plastic which is nice. The Standard is little heavier than my Gowland, but lighter than the Gowland models with a reversable back. The Gowland has axis tilt on the back, but lacks the back swing and back shift of the Standard (not critical movements for landscape). Otherwise very similar builds (about the same bellows draw, also).

Both fold for storage in a similar fashion, although the PocketViews rail is two-piece making it easier to pack. But both are light enough to carry on the tripod all day while photographing. As far as the duribility and lifespan of the materials used for the Standard goes -- it looks like it would be easy to get replacement parts as long as the company is around. If with use one finds that there are any questionable parts (in terms of longevity), it might be wise to pick up a replacement part or two.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Sorry I posted another camera sale site. Duh! I got deleted.
    The standard camera sure looks sleek, simple and modern and I wish I had one!

Im looking for a lighter camera and this seems to fit the bill just fine with a couple problems that may or may not be improved somehow. Focusing is one Id like to see on a rack n pinion instead of that friction beam clamp.

Im hauling a metal wista... its easy to set up n all but its an anchor. That may be an advantage for vibration in wind, but tell that to my back.

yellow bellows is my favorite!

Thanks for the heads up.

Took me awhile to realize that what I thought were 'focus' knobs just tighten the clamps. That would bug me, too. If I did not have the Gowland, I would have a tendency to go with something a little more traditional...for a simple 4x5 for example that is light, well made, and good for hiking, a used Horseman Woodman 4x5 is nice. At 3.2 pounds, it is a good wood folding camera. Also a bit more expensive if one can be found.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Without focus knob this camera is doable for landscape-everything-sharp only. That’s not what I’m looking for in LF. LF is for me mainly about selective sharpness, oblique focus plane, bokeh, etc. Movements of this camera are a bit redundant if you have no focus knob

just screw the standards onto two manfrotto macrosliders, and you will have a technikardan 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    just screw the standards onto two manfrotto macrosliders, and you will have a technikardan 3d.
    great idea!

Small town, South Carolina, US

I am not about to buy or make a camera that does not have some sort of focusing mechanism other than sliding the standards. That is a killer for me.

It is a slightly odd oversight. It wouldn't be that hard to fix, either. I know square aluminum tubing is easier to source than t-slot extrusions, but the t-slot would allow for either a gear track, or wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinografx View Post
    Has anyone here had a chance to use one of these cameras?
    https://www.standardcameras.com/
    If the link is a dud for some reason, it looks like (another) kickstarter-born 4x5 camera.
    It looks kind of charming, and not too spendy. It doesn’t appear to have back tilts, but does seem to be very compact and easy to cart around.
    Searching has turned up zilch other than their own website
    Sorry, am a little late to this post. I bought the files for 3D printing from this site and have printed two cameras already. I make sure one of them is working at all times while I “improve” the other.
    I must say, negatives are in focus, no light leaks or any other problems one might imagine for a completely 3D printed camera. For $25 an absolute bargain!

Plus, you can load the .stl files into fusion360 and modify them or build your own add-ons.
    Here’s an example for one of my experiments with improving the focusing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	589DBCE2-9F65-4437-B46F-E87D275A10E6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	210884

Here is another one and my ongoing project to convert it into an 8x10...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7336ACCF-9740-4B12-8A7A-C92228B88295.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	210885

Merry Xmas.
    Last edited by Fribourg-photography; 25-Dec-2020 at 04:18.

That's cool! And merry Christmas!

I can see how this can be the basis for some exploration into camera building...adapting the base model to take other types of backs and so on.