Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Standard 1.0 4x5 camera?

Studio Madbird

The Standard 1.0 4x5 camera?

Has anyone here had a chance to use one of these cameras?
    https://www.standardcameras.com/
    If the link is a dud for some reason, it looks like (another) kickstarter-born 4x5 camera.
    It looks kind of charming, and not too spendy. It doesn’t appear to have back tilts, but does seem to be very compact and easy to cart around.
    Searching has turned up zilch other than their own website

Re: The Standard 1.0 4x5 camera?

A friend of mine intends to build one, and has the download. In theory, I should be printing the 3d printed parts "soon" for him (I have the next couple weeks off).

It is difficult to find anyone who's used one for any length of time.

I think it's biggest competition is the Intrepid, which isn't much more expensive when fully assembled-- that, and there seems to be a definite bias against 3D printed parts in the film camera community.

Foamer

It looks like a metal Bender.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Used Sinars and Cambos heavier but they're more flexible and have a broader range of accessories and attachments. They can be less expensive than the kit. But of course they lack the joy of assembling the new camera.

If I had to buy another 4x5 view cameras, I'd trust a Graphic View or perhaps a Burke & James, despite their being 70 or more years old. The older view cameras are a few lbs heavier, but are well proven. Of course one should be familiar with any old camera equipment to avoid missing or obviously damaged parts. The Standard is lighter in weight, but lacks rear tilt. You would also have the advantage of service from the maker.

You guys will think I'm nuts. My 4x5 preferance is the old Kodak Master View - the gray Calumet. I just trust it. It's rugged and durable, and parts can be replaced easily if need be. I can adjust it easily in freezing cold. The camera doesn't have excessive movements or accessories, but I don't need excessive movements in a 4x5, and don't need system accessories. I've used lots of other 4x5 cameras - a Sinar Norma, F, Arca Swiss, Toyo, Cambo - and always come back to this. I supposed a Plaubel is 2nd, but the Calumet does the same thing. Ja? (If I could find an 8x10 Calumet, then we'd have Nirvana.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adams & KMV.jpeg  

Studio Madbird

I totally get it! My favorite is still a "Brand-17" from the Brand Camera Co. It's just fun to use. Someone did a nice job putting a graflock back on it. Sometimes those simple old cameras cast a certain spell, plus 4x4 lens boards are so easy to make...

Pretty impressive website Kinografx. Glad to see someone that could use anything doing your own thing with a great and unique camera! I wonder how hard focusing would be on the Standard without a rack and pinion?

I'm working on a Plaubel 4x5 Junior. I love the silky smooth rack and pinions and locking either spring loaded pinion won't move or cock the standards even a thousandth of an inch.

Studio Madbird

Quote Originally Posted by RivetGun View Post
    Pretty impressive website Kinografx. Glad to see someone that could use anything doing your own thing with a great and unique camera! I wonder how hard focusing would be on the Standard without a rack and pinion?

I'm working on a Plaubel 4x5 Junior. I love the silky smooth rack and pinions and locking either spring loaded pinion won't move or cock the standards even a thousandth of an inch.
    Thanks! The site is a little out of date now, but those things always take a back seat to day to day work...
    About the "The Standard" or any 3D printed camera, I wonder how robust the plastic from a 3d printer is, and whether it's subject to cracking or getting brittle after so many tightening & untightenings?
    The Plaubels are really nice looking cameras!

Without focus knob this camera is doable for landscape-everything-sharp only. That’s not what I’m looking for in LF. LF is for me mainly about selective sharpness, oblique focus plane, bokeh, etc. Movements of this camera are a bit redundant if you have no focus knob