Thread: Researching Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co. 5x7 Camera & Need Help

Researching Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co. 5x7 Camera & Need Help

Hi, I have an opportunity to get an Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co. 5x7 camera which I believe is from the late 1880's.

It doesn't have a dry plate holder with the camera and since this is the old style where the ground glass flips up, I know these dry plate holders can be a little difficult to find at times.

Anyone here have any ideas on who or where may have a dry plate holder for this camera?

Thank you,

Tim

Re: Researching Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co. 5x7 Camera & Need Help

Hey Tim,

I’m 85% sure that Eastman set the standard dimensions for holders in large part by buying up other companies and making them convert to the Kodak standard sizing. If standard 5x7 holder doesn’t fit and you can’t find an original, I highly recommend contacting Steve Lloyd at Chroma Camera for a custom holder.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Hi Jason, thank you. I appreciate the help/info.

I am thinking because the camera has the older flip up style ground glass vs. the more modern Graflock style (spring loaded) that standard holders probably wouldn't work because there is no way to keep them secure. Based on what you are saying, sounds like they will likely fit dimensionally, which is a good start.

Maybe if someone else here has this or a similar camera can tell us if standard holders will work or not?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Hey Tim,

I’m 85% sure that Eastman set the standard dimensions for holders in large part by buying up other companies and making them convert to the Kodak standard sizing. If standard 5x7 holder doesn’t fit and you can’t find an original, I highly recommend contacting Steve Lloyd at Chroma Camera for a custom holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
    Hi, I have an opportunity to get an Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co. 5x7 camera which I believe is from the late 1880's.

It doesn't have a dry plate holder with the camera and since this is the old style where the ground glass flips up, I know these dry plate holders can be a little difficult to find at times.

Anyone here have any ideas on who or where may have a dry plate holder for this camera?

Thank you,

Tim
    To give you an idea, this is what came with my (whole plate) Eastman Dry Plate & Film Co cam:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1596359

Some more info on the (restoration of the) camera:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Dry+Plate+Film

My Flickr