Thread: Need advice getting started with a Sinar P outfit

Need advice getting started with a Sinar P outfit

Hello all, I am a new member here and I am just getting back into film, its been about 12 years since I have done any wet work and I am looking forward to it but I will need your help.
    I just recently purchased a very well cared for Sinar P in an online auction locally. I think I got it for a fair price and I haven't used a LF camera since the early 2000's and have never used one of this type.
    I am not familiar with it but have seen a few videos online and will slowly go through the learning process so I do not cause any damage. It has the 4x5 and 5x7 rears, as well as two bellows and wide angle bellows, the rails, and other accessories that came with it just not any lens and I am uncertain if there are usable lens boards the kit yet as I have never used a DB lens board.
    The front standard has the shutter in, it but there were no lenses offered with it or lens boards, so that is my first problem, I am reading up on DB's but not sure what they actually look like in hand, or how the lens sits in it,
    or what types of lens fit in it and which ones don't. I also don't want to but junk or worthless accessories from shams and shysters.
    Research shows that the lens boards are built to put the lens in front of the shutter, but I am not sure what to look for or acquire. Same goes for the type of lens that would fit on the board.
    I picked up a couple of polaroid lens also just in cased they were what was used on the camera, this was a photographic equipment auction and I had hoped there was at least one lens hidden in the case, but no.
    I am of the thought that I can most likely remove the shutter and use a lens that already has a shutter in it also.
    Any one have one or used one of these before that can share on it, or point me to a site that can help me learn more on them?
    Appreciate the time and any comments to come.
    Bernie.

Re: Need advice getting started with a Sinar P outfit

Strongly suggest getting 3 OEM Sinar publications:
    1. "sinar code" this 27 page publication lists all the parts and accessories along with their numerical codes.
    2. "The systematic system" this 20 page publication shows all (well not all) the possible configurations and uses of the P.
    3. "BASICS AND APPLICATIONS - CREATIVE LARGE FORMAT": 111 page soft cover book explaining the Sinar system, operation, and uses. Far better than the SINAR Instruction Manual in my opinion.

The first 2 possibly can be found as pdf files in Internet and all you would have to do is print them out.The 3rd can be usually found on eBay for $30-$40. One there now for $35.95.

FYI KEH will CLA your Sinar shutter for a very fixed fair price. Well worth having done since you don't know how long the shutter was sitting and if it was stored correctly (shutter blades open, if I remember correctly... someone please confirm this or not).

There is one twist knob on a P that switches 2 functions mechanically

Be gentle with it, mine worked OK...

But P2 improved that function with 2 knobs
    Tin Can

Mike Butkus has info on the Sinar P and Sinar Shutters at his manuals site https://butkus.org/chinon/sinar/sinar.htm

I have a P, and the twist knob for the swing/tilt gear change is very difficult to turn. It takes so much force to switch positions that it feels like it's going to break off at some point. I don't know if that's par for the course, or if that's unusual. It's like trying to shift a manual transmission without releasing the clutch. The P2 is a definite improvement in that respect, but they're a lot more expensive. I'm happy with the P as long as that knob doesn't break.

Thanks Greg, that is helpful, At some point I will reach out to KEH, I also found a place In MA that seems to rate a lot of comments and is closer that I will check out also, SK Grimes, and another mention of a person in CA too.
    Thanks Tin Can so far I have tried the knobs and they work ok, or so it seems.
    Sharktooth, thanks, I actually found him doing multiple search on google, and I appreciate the feed back and the heads up.
    B.