Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing With A Chamonix 045-N

Focusing With A Chamonix 045-N

When using my Chamonix 045-N to do some close up still life subjects, I find that turning the middle focus knob only seems to Magnify the image on the glass and not really focus. To get a more precise focus, I have to slide the back backwards on the rails.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this the way you have to work it.

Re: Focusing With A Chamonix 045-N

Two ways to focus: move the back or the hole camera. Arond 1:1 this will happen with any camera.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

With close up work, focusing by moving the lens stage moves the lens in relation to the subject a rather large percentage of the total distance, thus effectively changing the "camera-to-subject distance" and, thus, the size of the image. If your camera has back focus, you'll find using it alone or in combination with the front focus generally more satisfactory.

The ideal tool for close-up work is a monorail with focusing on both standards that are geared the same so one can move each independently, keeping the desired image size while dialing in sharpness at the same time. With your field camera, you'll have to approximate this as best you can with what you have. When I use my field cameras for close-up work, I find inching the tripod back and forth to adjust camera-to-subject distance while focusing a valuable tool.

Have fun!

Doremus

Thanks to both for your answers.

The Chamonix does allow you to move the rear standard back and fourth which appears to give me better results as the image size doesn't appear to change as much so this will be the way I will do it I think.

I'm a new 4x5 user. My Chamonix camera can focus using both standards. Each standard can be adjusted individually. I didn't notice this change in size much. Maybe I haven't been paying attention with all the other procedures involved.

So when using long, wide angle or standard lenses for a subject let's say 50 feet away, or from let's say a subject that includes something near at 5 feet to subjects at the horizon, a typical landscape picture, what size changes occur using each of the standards to focus? What are the recommended procedures when you focus? What should I be concerned with?

You're not trying to do extreme closeups, so moving the lens a bit won't affect things noticeably.

Even at 5 feet, the change in magnification will be tiny-- a 210mm lens has a focal length of 8.25 inches, so shifting a few mm in either direction won't be a big deal.

But when you're doing very close-up work, where the subject might only be 8" from the lens, now moving the lens closer, even by a millimeter or two, will result in a magnification factor because you're moving the optical system closer to the subject by a significant percentage.

I'm sure someone can explain the optics better than I can (actually, almost anyone. ).

For every lens, the magnification is set by the film to subject distance, not anything to do with the lens position.

If the film plane is closer to the subject than 4 times the focal length, no image can be produced no matter where you put the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If the film plane is closer to the subject than 4 times the focal length, no image can be produced no matter where you put the lens.
    Is this true? Never heard this before. Why is it the case?

Many use a Macro rail for focusing close to subject,

Any Horseman 4X5 L has it built in, as it has 3 ways to focus, front, rear AND the bottom knob will move the entire camera forward or back but not change bellows draw

I am using this setup today, big image for clarity of setup, 210 mm lens

Macro by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

1/p + 1/q = 1/f