Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Specs for 300mm Rodagon-G Enl. Lens?

Re: Specs for 300mm Rodagon-G Enl. Lens?

and I believe I have paper poster shot on 35mm so well enlarged with detail only a G Rodagon could have made it

I sent the handheld Leica III neg to a mail order outfit, $6.95 delivered in a tube

Made 1987 and hangs in the next room under old plastic

I have Digi copied it and posted here long ago, now deleted

G Whiz!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    They used photo paper, the G series well predates digital. It was also commonly used for those large ads in airports.
    I had the same reaction as Neil. Hard to imagine the mechanics of processing a sheet or roll of paper large enough to accommodate a 30x enlargement from 8x10. Not arguing that it didn't happen - the G series existed for a reason! - but curious about exactly how it was done.

Tin Can

Sounds like I have a relic.

(Wait a minute, I'm a relic.)

Woe, talk about days past.

We had a thread on the Coloramas, with a bit of insight and a lot of noise:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Colorama-made

Still would be interesting to have a more detailed account of exactly how lenses like the longer Rodagon G series have been used.

Yes it would be interesting to know more

Lost history

This in Internet archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120910...m:80/colorama/
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Thanks for the graphs. Wow indeed!

It's funny . . . I print small and typically don't print larger than on 8x10 paper. (Maybe I'll start printing 80x100's. Trouble is, my darkroom is smaller than this.)

While these lenses are probably pretty rare, I'm thinking that their practical applications are also rare. Is there any use for a lens like this in today's world?
    The Durst Negatiel (shown here in action) splits the 8x10 negative in to a number of 50" high segments by shifting the negative with a worm-gear drive. This is to project on rolls of 50" paper that can then be spliced together. They were exposing lithography materials for billboards with my enlarger, and laying out the rolls horizontally. So, indeed they were exposing up to and perhaps over 200" across and using that non-G Rodagon 300mm for years before I got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horizontal.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	210504

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The Durst Negatiel (shown here in action) splits the 8x10 negative in to a number of 50" high segments by shifting the negative with a worm-gear drive. This is to project on rolls of 50" paper that can then be spliced together. They were exposing lithography materials for billboards with my enlarger, and laying out the rolls horizontally. So, indeed they were exposing up to and perhaps over 200" across and using that non-G Rodagon 300mm for years before I got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horizontal.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	210504
    So even then, a -G wasn't necessary. Interesting.

I'm still wondering if there are uses for a lens like this in today's world? But, maybe not.

Drew Wiley

Done in sections, as most really big "mural" prints were, then no need for that kind of magnification ratio in the enlarging lens itself. I've seen it done. What was more important was someone with the skills necessary to seamlessly splice those sections. The most remarkable example I've personally encountered was a high-detail high-gloss on mylar picture of the moon taken by NASA satellite, stitched into a print about 40 ft wide, that did in fact look immaculate viewed up close. As I recall, over sixty perfectly stitched pieces, with "stitching" referring to the tricky physical assembly of the final picture itself. Back then, my nephew was earning his way through UCB doing the digital stitching of the far greater number of electronic moon images involved in the immense files behind that kind thing, using a 6ft wide monitor at an extremely expensive workstation at LBL, well before the kinds of software were are familiar with were available.