Thread: Linhof Master Technika Full Set-up

Linhof Master Technika Full Set-up

Hi I’ve almost decided on the Master Technika classic as my first 4x5 set up.

Can someone confirm that this on Keh is the modern classic one?
    https://www.keh.com/shop/large-forma...BoCUeQQAvD_BwE

Could someone help confirm if my set up materials are appropriate and if I would need anything else to get started? I’ve read about the basics, just don’t want to miss anything.

1) MT
    2) 210mm Rodenstock apo sironar s - copal 1 shutter
    3) Lens board for the copal 1 shutter lens (any recommendations specific to the MT model above?)
    4) Blackjacket hybrid black cloth
    5) Calumet 7x loupe
    6) Maxwell 4x5 ground glass (any recommendations for grid or non gridded? I fear that grids would interfere slightly with focusing for portraits)
    7) Film holders (any recommendations of how many I should initially buy? Any Linhof ones okay?)
    8) I have a RRS tripod. Would I need to buy a RRS plate for the 4x5 to attach to ball head?
    9) I have a shutter release

To use as a handhold RF all I would need to do is couple the lens to the focusing cam, and also buy the multi focal optical viewfinder for composition and parallax?

Bill maxwell was mentioning something about confirm which MT I was getting so I could specify the right ground glass. What exactly was he referring to?

Finally, coupling to a godox trigger, I can just attach a wire from the trigger to the lens?

Thanks you all!!!

Re: Linhof Master Technika Full Set-up

Re RRS tripod, I use a Versa 23 (2 Series 3-segmented legs) version and it is adequate to support my MT. RRS used to make a specific plate for the MT, but now you'll need to use one of their more generic plates (so you'll need to sort that out with their reco). Further to that, I have two RRS plates on my MT; one under the film standard, and one under the bed that drops down and supports the bellows and focusing rails (which I use only for lenses at 300mm or longer so the camera's weight is more centered and balanced over the tripod head). I also upgraded (I think) to Maxwell screens on my MT and my TK45S about a year ago, and I prefer the screen without grid lines for my MT (which I use almost entirely for landscapes). I have a couple of Linhof film holders in my collection, and they are nice; but I don't think they are any longer made and available new, and are scarce on the used market. I like good used Toyo film holders in EXC condition best, and have many from various vintages. The newer versions with blue stripes and lettering are nice. But VG or EXC used Fidelity Deluxe are also satisfactory, as are the older all-metal Riteway holders I have. I haven't used that 7X loupe, but generally feel that a 4X or 5X is adequate and those will usually offer a bit brighter view for focusing. If that 210mm Sironar-S is a good copy it will be a keeper, but it is a fairly longish "normal" for 4x5, so you'll need to consider and plan for other focal lengths. If you are familiar with using full format 35mm cameras and their lenses of various focal lengths, the conversion factor between 4x5 and 35mm formats is 3.6 - so if you like a 50mm lens on your 35mm camera, multiply that by 3.6 to get the equivalent focal length for that same "normal" format for your 4x5 MT. 'Good luck, and your MT is a good choice that you should enjoy.
    Last edited by JMO; 11-Dec-2020 at 13:01.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

It is an older version, you can tell by the strap lugs. They are different on the current Classic model. However, other then the lugs, all features are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It is an older version, you can tell by the strap lugs. They are different on the current Classic model. However, other then the lugs, all features are the same.
    KEH uses generic product pictures, not photographs of the actual item being sold. So you can't tell about minor within-model variations like the strap lugs by looking at their posted illustrations.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful!!
    I’m looking for a copal 1 lens board for the MT.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124445062137

Does this look like the correct one?

I pulled up an old thread that said “

3) If you need a loupe with a long enough tube to use with a folding hood then your choices are limited AFAIK to those from Horseman, Wista and Toyo. I have owned two different copies of the Toyo loupe and have never understood its popularity. Maybe I have been unlucky but in both instances I found its optics to be very inferior to the other loupes I own and use. Of course it is also the cheapest and you get what you pay for. I recently acquired a Horseman 6x loupe for this purpose and the jury is still out. I’ll have to use it a lot more before I make up my mind. It is sturdy and beautifully made and it has great optics. It is also a bit bit heavier and larger than I am used to using but I suspect over time it will become a favorite.

Is it true then that I should get a 4x horseman toyo or wista loupe?